News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

one more question

Started by HOplasserem80c, February 07, 2007, 10:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOplasserem80c

does bachmann still make there HO 2-8-2 mikado?you know the standerd ones that look like this (but this is in n i want one in HO)

Jim Banner

That's the old sidewinder Consolidation with a trailing truck added.  I remember buying one close to 20 years ago.  The trailing truck stayed on it for maybe half an hour after I got it home.  It looks much better as a Connie.

Does yours make a lot of gear noise?  Even after two decades, mine still whines.  Never could get the noise out of it.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bill Baker

I don't think Bachmann makes them any more, but you can certainly find some on e-bay and they're relatively cheap.  I bought one a few years ago, and it too had a ginding sound.  I think it's just the nature of the pancake motor.  I love the configuration and am thinking of putting a whole new power unit in it.  I think NWSL has a power unit which is compatible.  And by the way, I took the trailing wheels of mine too.
Bill

jayl1

These are no longer available.  The shell is based on a Reading 2-8-0.  I believe the mold was destroyed. BTW a Bowser re-motor, regear, re-wheeling set.  It's a craftsman kit!!

Bill Baker

Jay,

Thanks for the information about Bowser.  I got on their website and I think I found what I needed.  I'd love to get my old Connie running again.
Bill

Jim Banner

I don't know the present condition of the moulds, but they lasted long enough after the sidewinder version to be used for the Bachmann Plus version.  The latter had a can motor and a large flywheel/worm gear.  Not quite up to Spectrum standards, the were, never the less, miles ahead of the sidewinders in terms of smooth operation.  If Bill has super detailled the shell of his sidewinder, a Bachmann Plus Consolidation may be the way to go.  Very little modification of the old shell is required, and it is all on the inside where it does not show. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.