News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Auctions

Started by adari, March 28, 2011, 04:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

Where do you guys find out about Model Train Auctions?
I have asked people before but no buddy knows where.
Please tell me,
Adam

ACY

Go on ebay, locally there will only be things like estate auctions that may include model railroad stuff, but you would not know unless you went.

OldTimer

Around here (western Maryland), auctions are a pretty big deal, especially in the summer time when the events move outside and become social affairs.  The local auction houses advertise estate sales and post a list of items to be offered for sale.  I'll bet that if you call around, you can get on the mailing lists of some of your local auctioneers.  Let them know what you are interested in.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

Quote from: adari on March 28, 2011, 04:10:08 PM
Where do you guys find out about Model Train Auctions?
I have asked people before but no buddy knows where.
Please tell me,
Adam

Were are you located?

Better learn how auction houses operate before you go and try to bid at one.

I sometimes buy from the below site.

http://www.hoseeker.net/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi

Ebay is one I deal with. That will be a learning experience. Always check the sellers rating.
Check your local newspaper.
Check your local Craiglist.

There are other on line auction houses for trains but you better know what you are doing. They can spot a clueless bidder very easily.

Rich

adari

Rich I am right outside of Washington D.C. Hope that answers your question.

railsider

Adam...........

Join a train club! Good advice on many levels.  You'll find out about local auctions, swap meets, and meet guys who enjoy trading or have stuff to sell. And often, you'll find guys willing to GIVE you stuff, just to help a fellow hobbyist get into the fun of the WGH.
If you don't know anybody, ask at the neighborhood haabby store. They'll put you in touch at once.