News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

looking for n scale NJ transit

Started by NscaleNJtransit, March 28, 2011, 06:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NscaleNJtransit

Im looking for an N scale Njtransit engine and or passanger cars. I know life like makes an engine but i can't seem to find it on their websit. Or in fact any engines. just sets. so if someone has one for sell or knows a retailer, please let me know
Snip it on, its Frisco

skipgear

Life Like doesn't really exist anymore. You should be looking at Walthers for a listing of what has been made. Your best option is to learn what has been made, and then scour shops and shows to find them. There is a person (Secret Weapon) on Trainboard.com that is a NJT fan and may be of some assistance to you.

It looks like Atlas has done a run of GP40's:

53481 - GP40 New Jersey Transit #4300
53482 - GP40 New Jersey Transit #4302
**Also offered in DCC installed versions.

Micro Scale offers both Passenger and Loco decal sets.

I seem to remember Life Like offering an F40PH in NJT a long time ago but I can't find anything to confirm it.

Beyond that,  it looks like painting and decals are going to be in your future.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ACY

Here is a picture of the Life-Like F40PH-2 Diesel-Electric Locomotive, it is often on ebay...

According to someone:
QuoteLifelike did a F40PH in 1994 in the NJ Transit paint colors in 2 road numbers.

Albert in N

My NJ Transit exposure related to business trips to Morristown NJ area in the early and mid 1980s.  I rode NJ Transit on the old Lackawanna lines, both electric (the old Edison style dark green powered coach sets) and the U34CH diesel powered trains with smooth side low roof cars.  A fairly close match in N scale for low budget would be using the old German made MiniTrix U28C with German made MiniTrix or newer Model Power smooth side streamline coaches.   You would need to paint and decal as needed.  At train shows in our area, the older MiniTrix diesels often sell in the $25 each range and the cars $5 to $10 each.  Be aware that these are DC (non DCC compatible) older N scale with old Rapido (standard N) couplers.  If you want a better locomotive, the Kato U30C is a good one (but more expensive) and the newer Kato U30C or C30-7 locomotives will be here soon.  The newer Kato is DCC ready.

NscaleNJtransit

OK. I'm building a model of the NJ transit in suffern, tuxido, and slostburg NY. It goes from port Jervis to hoboken
Snip it on, its Frisco

David Leonard

There's really not much for NJT in N scale. No modern commuter cars at all, which you would need, since NJT began using their own equipment on the Port Jervis line in 1982. Before that it was EL. F40P's and U34CH's are both suitable, but the GP40's (modeled by Atlas) are strictly for maintenance of way use. However, NJT shares equipment on this line with Metro North, and for a while (1988-1989 for sure) Metro North RDC's, which Kato makes, operated to Port Jervis.  http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/4665/ardcpj.jpg

ngauger1

Just was on E-bay someone had one used.
ngauger1

NscaleNJtransit

k. im now going 50% kato cuz i have a couple of their locos and track and its great. Than 25% atlas and 25% bachman. Im gonon do kato but they might be making a NJT f40ph soon so im gonna wait and see
Snip it on, its Frisco

Albert in N

Good choice!  Remember that you can strip, repaint, and decal for the roadname of your choice.  You can get a few cheap used items to practice on.  The old MiniTrix or later Model Power passenger cars are usually inexpensive and the coaches look pretty close to the 1980s NJ Transit cars that I saw and rode during the Conrail operation days.  They were pulled by GE U34CH units.  Admittedly, the models are slightly short but run and look good on 11 inch radius curves.  If Kato or Athearn eventually produces New Jersey Transit locomotives and cars, preorder and get it while it is available!  On track, I switched to Kato UniTrack and will stick with it because it works and looks great.

NscaleNJtransit

yeah. i got a LIMA ITALY is all it saz with some other stuff. but its an f3 and in praticing on it for the NJtransits F# and texas special, ect
Snip it on, its Frisco