Digitally programmed vs multiple single controllers?

Started by Firestorm, March 28, 2011, 08:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firestorm

If I built a new train set, should I go with the digital option (which endears me to a certain brand) or just keeping my options open and have multiple controllers for the different tracks?

richg

Go with DCC. Convert your locos to DCC. Ask here for each loco before trying. Get the Dynamis system, the only real good Bachmann system that is available.

Rich

OldTimer

Just a guess, but I think you need to do some homework.  Go to your LHS and find a book that that explains how cab control wiring works.  The Atlas track plan books are excellent.  While you're there, get a book that will introduce you to the principles of DCC.  If you opt for cab control, you can always convert to DCC later.  

A little studying now can save you from potentially expensive mistakes later.  Good Luck.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

Here are some links for homework. Take your time as the complexity depends on what you want for a layout.
It can be fairly simple or quite complex.
Our club had four throttles with fourteen blocks. We switched all blocks on, disconnected the DC throttles and connected up the new 5 amp DCC system.
After a few years, about four, we ran #14 buss wires to the old drops as we sometimes run as many as twelve sound locos. Put in two DCC reversers for two crossovers.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track.htm

http://www.siliconvalleylines.com/dcc/presentations.html

I see these two fellows quite often in some other DCC forums.

Rich

Jim Banner

If you are considering multiple, independent tracks, then multiple, independent controllers makes sense.  But if you want to run more than one train on the same track, DCC is the way to go.

Do not be overly concerned with being locked into one brand.  As your railroad grows, you reach a point where you have more invested in the decoders in your locomotives than you do in the DCC system that drives them.  The nice thing is, your major investment, your decoders, will work with any NMRA type DCC system.  So you can add to or replace your system without having to replace the decoders.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Hot Man-

Beware the feedback here. All we can offer is our own personal opinions as colored by our own beliefs and what/how we want to model. You have to decide what your priorities are and then explore what system will most closely (none is likely to exactly satisfy your situation) match your criteria.

My opinions, and they're no better than anyone else's, are:

- you are generally better off buying what you think you'll need in the future than going cheap now with the intention of
       expanding later

- it's better to buy locos with (good) decoders installed than to buy a cheapie with the intention of improving it after the fact

- it will pay to buy more capacity (amps) than you think you'll need

- buy only quality rolling stock

- enjoy the challenge of new things to do

- don't be isolated -- use this and other Inet boards and try to find a local model railroad club

- patronizing your local hobby shop at least some of the time will pay off big time

-- D

JerryB

Quote from: Firestorm on March 28, 2011, 08:15:32 PM
<snip> . . . should I go with the digital option (which endears me to a certain brand) . . . <snip>

I'm not certain what you are thinking here, but if by "digital option" you mean DCC, you need to be aware that virtually all DCC equipment, including base stations, boosters and the decoders that go in the powered equipment are built to adhere to standards that are published and supported by the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA).

That means that most DCC manufacturer's equipment will fully operate with other DCC manufacturer's equipment. That is just to opposite of being locked ". . . to a certain brand."

There are some equipment limitations as to total functionality of certain units, but again, even the limited functionality of low cost starter systems complies with the NMRA DCC standards. It is just that certain capabilities are not included in order to keep the price low.

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Firestorm

Quote from: Doneldon on March 28, 2011, 11:48:07 PM
Hot Man-

Beware the feedback here. All we can offer is our own personal opinions as colored by our own beliefs and what/how we want to model. You have to decide what your priorities are and then explore what system will most closely (none is likely to exactly satisfy your situation) match your criteria.

My opinions, and they're no better than anyone else's, are:

- you are generally better off buying what you think you'll need in the future than going cheap now with the intention of
       expanding later

- it's better to buy locos with (good) decoders installed than to buy a cheapie with the intention of improving it after the fact

- it will pay to buy more capacity (amps) than you think you'll need

- buy only quality rolling stock

- enjoy the challenge of new things to do

- don't be isolated -- use this and other Inet boards and try to find a local model railroad club

- patronizing your local hobby shop at least some of the time will pay off big time

-- D

Oh I know everyone has an ego here  ;)

But first I should mention that I am a noob when it comes to model trains. Maybe in the future, I will build one (once I get a job and into my own place). I'm very good with the playing with the train set  :D but not so much knowing the actual building part.

My girlfriend's dad has a Marklin train set which is fun to run.

richg

When someone puts a link in a message, go to the link and see what is there. Store the link in Favorites if it is something you like.
There is a huge amount of model railroad/DCC info on the 'Net.
Organize say a Trains Folder in Favorites and add other Folders with the different subjects and you will develop quite a model railroad document Library.
Make sure to backup the Favorites Folder in IE in case IE messes with you. Remember, Failure is not an Option, it comes bundled with Windows.
Learning how to search with Google will be another huge asset to help you.
I use the Kalmbach forums a lot as there are many modelers there with forums for other train info.
They sell Model Railroader Magazine along with other train magazines.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/

Below is a free Model Railroad on line magazine. You can download the magazine right to your PC and there are forums there also.
Bachmann forums are good but you can find a lot of good info at other forums and bring the knowledge back here to help new people.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Rich

Firestorm

On the topic of DCC, I've watched various YouTube videos, and it seems like going the DCC route is pretty simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpLAhvni7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLIanscAhFI&feature=related

Or am I wrong?

richg

Quote from: Firestorm on March 29, 2011, 12:45:47 PM
On the topic of DCC, I've watched various YouTube videos, and it seems like going the DCC route is pretty simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpLAhvni7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLIanscAhFI&feature=related

Or am I wrong?
Until you start to do some installs, these videos will make it seem easy. I am being realistic.
Not trying to discourage you but there are MANY different types of locos and many have been made over the years that will not be easy.
I belong to about twenty forums and see many questions about installs and many that are not easy.
Then, there are sound installs.
So easy is relative. It is easy for those with experience.
Remember people telling you it is easy to drive a car or maybe a standard shift car. It looked easy until you tried it.

Rich