News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Who models the post-steam era?

Started by gmhtrains, March 31, 2011, 12:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmhtrains

It seems that 95% of the posts on this board concern steam locomotive issues. How many readers model a post-steam era railroad, or one that is at least 80% dieselized? And of those in this category, how many care if their locomotives have sound? A dieselized On30 layout could have a few Bachmann Plymouths, as well as Boulder Valley, Backwoods Miniature and Mount Blue conversion superstructures over HO or S scale mechanisms.

Every time the subject is raised as to what new motive power Bachmann should produce, the response is almost 100% steam. If the question is what internal combustion locomotive would you most like to see, what model would top your list?

[I model a 1950 transition era railroad with a 50-50 motive power split.]

Gil Hulin
Eugene, Oregon

ebtnut

Well, on the On30 board, the emphasis would be primarily on steam modeling, since that is the basis for Bachmann's On30 line - Narrow gauge steam from about the early 1900's (aside from the Davenport).  If you're looking for diesel-era modelers, their mostly on the HO or General Discussion boards.

lvrr325

Most narrow gauge lines went to their end running steam.   

D&RGW ran into the 1960s that way; EBT ceased in 1955 as a steam road; the Southern Pacific narrow gauge had one diesel in the mid-late 1950s but from what I've read it wasn't very successful and a steam engine was kept ready and often used as back-up.  The Maine narrow gauge was abandoned before WWII.  The Catskill Mountain RR was abandoned during WWI.  And so on.  There really is no "transition era" for narrow gauge lines, they either went out of business or got standard gauged.     

Plus, the only Bachmann "diesel" is the Plymouth, which is a very small engine that wouldn't physically be capable of replacing the large steam engines, which means until someone comes out with a good GE-type On30 diesel you're left with kitbashes or craftsman kits to build your own.  (I'm waiting for a damaged Flyer Baldwin switcher body to turn up cheap to build something with). 

Ken

Gil

MLW-ALCO DL 535
    GE   Shovel Nose

Personnal favorite JUNIN a Hudswell-Clarke DH 2-6-2 built for the Junin 2&1/2 Ft line in Chile.

Ken Clark
      GWN

ebtnut

IIRC, the Southern Pacific diesel on the narrow gauge Keeler  Branch was a 65-ton GE unit, very similar to their standard gauge 70-ton unit that they make in HO.

Anubis

The closest thing I will ever get to a diesel in On30 is a Davenport side-rod.

And that runs on petrol..... :D

STEAM RULES!!!!!!

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Hamish K

In North America narrow gauge diesels, apart from small industrial locos, were rare with the exception of the White Pass and Yukon and the Southern Pacific diesel mentioned by Ivrr 325. These were large 3 foot gauge locos that would dwarf most of the existing Bachmann range.

Overseas it is different. Narrow gauge lines lasted in quite a few countries, some still exist. Diesel and electric locos were introduced for such lines, including on gauges around 30 inches as well as metre gauge. These lines are modelled and some ready to run equipment is made, more in HOe (european term for HOn30)  or HOm ( HO scale on 12mm gauge track representing metre gauge) than in O scale (Oe or Om). Bachmann's German line Liliput has an HOe range which has 3 diesel locomotives, one of them very modern. These are of an Austrian prototype. Popular subjects for European modern narrow gauge include the Swiss electric metre gauge lines and the Austrian 760mm gauge lines.

Hamish.

gmhtrains

North America's largest fleet of narrow gauge diesels was not based in Skagway, but in St. John's, Newfoundland. Lasting until 1988, the former Canadian National (Terra Transport in their final decade) 42-inch gauge six-axle diesels worked a 500-plus-mile mainline over roller coaster terrain.

More typical of a narrow gauge railroad, however, was the Grand Falls Central shortline between Grand Falls and Botwood, Newfoundland, powered by General Electric's only narrow gauge 70-tonners. Again, this was 42-inch gauge. I rode the GFC in 1976, before abandonment, and saw GFC's bright orange boxcars in 1980 operating in Costa Rica.

Most modelers of Newfoundland's railways work in S scale, where 1/64 car bodies on HO scale mechanisms work out to accurate 42-inch (three and a half foot) scale.

Gil Hulin

NarrowMinded

This topic reminded me of this picture Scary 2' diesel. I would be afraid to ride in this thing.
http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/images/13/236.jpeg
NM

Anubis

Hi NM,

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would you be afraid to ride in that thing?

Is it a play on words, or am I missing something?

ksivils

In addition to the White Pass, the Rio Grande tested two diesels for the U.S. Army, one of which wound up on the White Pass. The Rio Grande also had the former Sumpter Valley #100 which became the Rio Grande #50.

The USG operates today with DL535Es originally built for the White Pass.  The two diesels it operated with originally now belong to the Ashby's who used to operate the Georgetown Loop with WSL shays.

The Porter 1203 now operates on the Loop.

These are all fairly large locomotives and would make great models. The U.S. Army locomotives were used with Rio Grande steam and the Porter was backed up by a steam locomotive (it was replaced by the two GE's now at the Colorado Railroad Museum so it is fitting it followed them to the Loop operation.

The Durango & Silverton also has several former steel mill diesels. The C&TS has a nice diesel the #19.

The last two examples are use of both steam and diesel TODAY.

NarrowMinded

Anubis,
it just looks very unstable to me, though it maybe  unlikely it would turn over, with the rails so close it just looks scary to me.

NM

Anubis

NM,

Now I see what you mean.....yes, it does seem to be a little 'narrow', narrow gauge...

Hamish K

Interesting link posted by Narrow Minded, when I first saw it I assumed that it has been  regauged to 2 foot gauge, but no, it was built that way by GE for the South African  Railways 2 foot gauge lines. The class operated for about 20 years, as far as I know without major problems. Some have, as a result of closure of the lines, been sold and regauged to 3 foot 6 inch gauge. They appear to be about the same size as smallish locos made for 3 foot 6 inch and metre gauge by GE and EMD. There is some potential then for an American design narrow gauge diesel that is plausible for 30 inch and 2 foot gauges as well as the broader narrow gauges (3 foot, metre and 3 foot 6 inches). Not to my taste, but then  I remain (mainly) a steam person.

Hamish

NarrowMinded

I wish I could find another link i had seen before with a diesel that looked like a 2ft gp35. Im a steam guy too but l;ike to see things like that.

NM