Spectrum Dash 8 40CW-Santa Fe early version?

Started by Burto, April 01, 2011, 08:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burto

I recently purchased a Spectrum Dash 8 in Santa Fe ( Red /Silver)Factory DC with an aftermarket decoder from a reputable US store.A very impressive loco.After looking at it for a couple of months I placed it on a DC track.It quickly caught up with the DCC Conrail Dash 8 and the DCC Union Pacific SD40.It  lost its forward headlight, so all three locos were reversed a short distance and stopped.I connected a higher quality transformer/controller from a 70's Tyco set built for Australian use?!*%#!!On applying power to my red and silver pride and joy, I immediately fried the decoder, with a great gush of whitish smoke from under the front trucks/ bogies.On examination, the small decoder was sitting loosely on top of a long PCB board.The power pickup came from two screws inserted in the top front of the frame halves (are these original?).The decoder has the 'black hole' on the side where the red and orange power wires meet and a cut off green is on the edge.Did I get a spike in voltage as power was applied to the tracks?
This loco has black painted flywheels(rather than clear brass)and no windshield wipers(not in packet inside).What vintage is this loco?I have seen brass flywheels elsewhere on 2005 forum posts.Furthermore,the
Santa Fe red signage on both sides is coming off after very little handling.(Was this common?) I have purchased lots of Bachmann locos during the past few months and they do not exhibit the paint problem.Can anyone tell me more about this particular Spectrum model?I have not been able to pick it up from Google.Where do I find replacement safety railing and wipers? Please excuse my lack of knowledge at this stage.

Many thanks,
Burto                ( PS I have better controllers on the way from the US)

bobwrgt

Can you post pictures of the engine and drive? It does not sound like a Bachmann or Spectrum at all.

Bob

ACY

It is most likely the first run which was made in the early 1990's.

jward

it sounds like whoever installed the decoder did it incorrectly.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Burto

Thanks guys for the quick replies.I'm sure it is a Sectrum by Bachmann.The Warbonnet,#806 Item#86020 in the narrow
'The Master Railroad Series'.The seller is very reputable.Price was $48.50 plus $40 for installation of DN135 decoder.The loco only managed about 16' of running.
    H860X     01                  TRAIN 27      (Details on light board screwed to inside centre of shell-full length of shell)

Digitrax cheap decoder has a green wire to one side that has been cut to about 3mm.Looks like the white wire from the front light has become detached.The other two DCC Bachmann locos that ran with it are still going well,albeit the Conrail Dash 8 is very slow.I imagine it will be better with a DCC controller and further run time.I have read about a fix to improve the running of these.I originally purchased the Santa Fe to keep as DC but I'll check for motor insulation etc and put another decoder in it as my first installation attempt.
Keep smiling and
Keep puffing,
Burto

Burto

I find it a bit hard to believe that a good eBay store would be selling an early 90's locomotive in November 2010.I'm not experienced at posting pics but someone from Bachmann should be able to tell me the vintage with black flywheels.Maybe they're steel from some other loco and not shiny brass.Maybe there was a fault in installation but the freight cost was too high to send it back.My kneejerk reaction was to buy a second Conrail Dash 8 with DCC by Bachmann, which is still sitting in the box.
Keep up the good work chaps,
Burto

ACY

Quote from: Burto on April 01, 2011, 10:40:17 PM
I find it a bit hard to believe that a good eBay store would be selling an early 90's locomotive in November 2010.I'm not experienced at posting pics but someone from Bachmann should be able to tell me the vintage with black flywheels.Maybe they're steel from some other loco and not shiny brass.Maybe there was a fault in installation but the freight cost was too high to send it back.My kneejerk reaction was to buy a second Conrail Dash 8 with DCC by Bachmann, which is still sitting in the box.
I don't find it hard to believe, I see it all the time, it is new old stock, that is a new loco that they have had in stock for a long period of time