News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Russian Decapod 2-10-0

Started by johnTom, April 02, 2011, 10:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnTom

While looking at wig wag trains website in their Bachmann section they still list the 2-10-0" Russian Decapod" as Coming Soon (?)!
Taking Reservations now:
Here's my question is are we ever going to see it?
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

the Bach-man

Dear John,
Hopefully we will, but it's not imminent.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ericw95

hey bach-man, any word on a k4 4-6-2 in the works ;D

the Bach-man

Dear Eric,
The next round of announcements will be made in July at the NMRA National Convention.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

dtpowell

The Russian decapod would be nice for some folk, but it seems a little "specialized" to me. Personally, I've been crying for a good POPULAR Midsized Steam Locomotive like the K-4 J1e or J3a Hudson or equivalents. I'm sure the decapod would sell well, but I feel many would buy it out of desperation for something new and different.
Bring on the Pacific's Mikado's and Hudson's! Only the July NRMA convention will tell. I getting old a waiting and the Grim Repper is nearly in view for doing so.  :'(

skipgear

It really depends on your perspective.

Personally, being a B&O modeler, a Hudson does nothing for me, the B&O only played with them experimentally. The K4 would be nice, simply because the B&O interchanged with PRR in the town I model but other than that, I have no need for it unless the model is made flexible enough to wear other boilers. Doing that will turn off many of he PRR fanatics though. The Russian would make a good starting point for many small drivered 2-10-0's and 0-10-0 switchers, which I could use.

There is no one steam loco that will suite everyone's needs. That is what makes it so hard to decide which one to make next.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ericw95

what would be really nice is if bachmann decided to provide two separate shells for a pacific with the same frame. seems somewhat cost inefficient, but the model would appeal to modelers of regular rail lines and modelers of the unique prr k4 pacific. the lack of a well running, somewhat economically priced k4 would definitely sell.

in_eden

When it comes to the Heavy Pacifics... I guess it really comes down to how much variance you're willing to accept.
From a boiler standpoint... they are pretty similar dimensions. At least close enough to be represented by one N scale piece. If you made the belpaire firebox as an add on detail (factory) like the C&O flying pumps on the mountain. With slight detail tweaks, headlight placement, feedwater heater addition, a couple different sand domes... you could accomodate a ton of roads with the same basic boiler shell and mechanism.
Or start with the K4 and expand it out later... ?

eric220

Quote from: the Bach-man on April 03, 2011, 10:38:04 PM
Dear Eric,
The next round of announcements will be made in July at the NMRA National Convention.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ack!  My hopes are up!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

kmcsjr

We basically need every steamer ever made, with all road specific variations. Short of that, Spectrum series small steam. I'd never discourage a Decapod though!

taz-of-boyds

I'm not desperate for the Russian, I am just in a hurry to put it on my Western Maryland related railroad...

Yee-haa,
Charles

PS, the Ten Wheeler seemed to sell like hotcakes even with that kind-of large tender...

PPS, a loco you can use in desperation is better than nothing...

dtpowell

While, I would certainly prefer a K-4 pacific or Hudson. If a Decapod were produced. I'd try to make modify or make one look like an N&W M1 4-10-0.  :)

Whoops. Need to edit this one. I goofed... The M1's were 4-8-0's  Still, a 2-10-0 might look nice lettered for the N&W.