Loose pantographs on WBB GG1

Started by The General, April 03, 2011, 11:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

Not a new topic but apparently an old problem - does Bachmann or anyone have any new ideas to make them more secure? I just can't bear the thought of drilling a hole in this beautiful engine!  ??? :)

MAPA JCT

Why do you have to drill a hole? What's wrong with it?

DominicMazoch

Marty:

Thae G I got from you does tend to pop off with little pressure.  But I rather have that than have the pant break off!

The General

MAPA JCT - the insulators (rubber) just don't fit into the roof holes tight enough to hold the pantographs on very well - they seem to fall off too easily from vibration or come loose at the slightest touch. In researching this forum, I found a response from a few months back where someone suggested drilling a small hole and securing with a screw of some sort, but I will never do that! I was thinking maybe Bachmann or Williams had come up with a better type of material/design for the insulators that would fit into the roof tighter. This being said, I agree with the others that it is better for them to come off than to break off. Thanks! general

General, 
            I have an idea that may work. I too have a GG1 WbyB. Tuscan 2360. I have thought about securing the small rubber insulators to the roof holes with tiny droplets of rubber cement. After the cement dries, I would then mount the pantographs onto their correct location.  The small points from the insulators would then protrude upward through the metal "feet" of the pantographs. This point could then be heated ( with soldering iron or other heat source ) and flattened slightly to allow it to be secured to the foot. Option B would be to supper glue instead of melting the insulator.
             This should secure the pantograph but still allow it to detach during a mishap. The rubber cement bond should fail under a moderate loading. The pantograph seems strong enough not to fail before the rubber cement bond fails.
              Just a thought...Good Luck...671

Len

Have you tried replacing them with the Lionel insulator, PN: 6902332P07?? A reproduction of the PW GG-1 insulator is also available from Olsen's Toy Train Parts, PN: 2332P-7B. Both are $0.50 each plus S&H.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

dkmoss

I had the same issue with my pink girl's train GG1.  I lost the insulator somewhere and could not find it so I did as others had suggested and got some replacement insulators (I think from Olsens) and they seem to fit better.

MAPA JCT

Actually, if your concern is the insulators falling off the pantograph, do what some body has suggested: glue them to the pantograph.

As for monting the ENTIRE pantograph, it should just "pop" on. Line up the SINGLE  hole on the pantograph, with the mounting post ON the engine, and push down FIRMLY.  It WILL indeed "POP" into place.

To take OFF the pantograph: make sure to pantograph is DOWN.  Grab the pantograph at the BASE....where the insulators are on top of the roof area. With a slight rocking motion back and forth, pull UP on the pantograph firmly. It WILL pop off. Don't be afraid that it will break, it should not, if you have grabbed it by the base.