News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 performance question

Started by timhar47, April 03, 2011, 11:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

Hello,

So here is my question. My new Bachmann 2-10-2 seems to have a slight 'click' sound going forward mostly. The old thump thump thump sound, along with a very slight wobble. I am trying to figure out how much is normal, or do these run smoothly? I may do an RMA with the mail-order. Thanks - Tim

Pacific Northern

If you have just received the engine you need to break it in for at least an hour or so of running time at various speecs and forward and backward.
Pacific Northern

bobwrgt

Some have a slight wobble or rocking motion. Some are very smooth.
When running slow watch the linkage on the wheels to see if any are hitting each other. If the engine is picked up by the linkage it can get bent. Also from the bottom check the copper electrical pick-up fingers on the back of the wheels. If one is bent it may be hitting the spokes on the wheel causing the clicking sound. They should ride on the outer wheel rim.
I have two that are pretty smooth and i had one that i returned to Bachmann twice because it ran rough. The returned one was replaced with a DCC Heavy Mountain.

Bob

WTierce1

I'm sorry to tell you but I doubt that will stop happening. The reason I think this is because I've had one for a while and it has done that for as long as I have had it. I think you should just get used to it. I think the sound ads a little bit of chugging.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

timhar47

Thanks - i ran it for quite a while - still same, worse when slow running. Decided to RMA it, shipped out today, also will upgrade it to a sound unit, since the hobby shop is now 'out of stock' on the regular replacement 2-10-2.