News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC with E-Z Command Controller DCC

Started by john.001, April 06, 2011, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

I have an adult layout using the Bachmann EZ Command DCC.  I wish to purchase a couple of Thomas & Friends engines/rolling stock so my very young grandchildren can enjoy it as well. I currently have the DCC hooked to the typical Bachmann connector.  Two questions:  

(1) can I assume I can use the DC Thomas & Friends with the EZ Command DCC unit; and

(2) how do I connect to the Bachmann track plug (DC)?  

ACY

I do not advise using a DCC system to power DC locomotives, remember, with DCC all track is live even if the throttle is at 0, if you leave a DC locomotive on live track for more than a few minutes then the locomotive will get damaged. The only advantage of hooking up a DC controller to the DCC system is to free button 10 for a 10th DCC locomotive. Also do not provide power to the DCC system if using it in conjunction with a DC controller. If you have an E-Z track layout it would be easy enough to just switch between your DCC and DC controllers by switching the terminal wire back and forth depending on what you are running. That way you will not risk any damage to your DC locomotives.

Chazzlee

I

Two ways:

A DC-only engine can run on the DCC EZ Command module, using address 0.

Another option is to pickup one of those small DC controllers that come with newer Bachmann  train sets. (If you don't already have one with the Thomas set?). This gets it's "To Track" plug inserted into the EZ Command "Jump" throttle socket, and nothing else needs to be wired.. Then you will free up address 0 on the DCC controller and will also be able to run one (only one at a time here) DC-only locomotive off that small plugged-in  DC controller.

One piece of good advice I've gotten... When you're not running your DC loco around on the DCC setup either park it on a switched-off unpowered siding, or take it off the track altogether. DC engines can sometimes overheat left sitting on powered DCC track too long w/o running...

Chazzlee

Jim Banner

Running EITHER DCC or dc but not both is good advice.  Running a dc locomotive on a DCC powered track does work but it MAY overheat to the point of damaging the locomotive if it is left sitting idle on the track.  Switching over to dc operation will not harm anything, as long as you disconnect the E-Z Command from the track while the dc power pack is connected.

Plugging a dc power pack into your E-Z Command does not change the situation for the dc locomotive.  It is still being run on a DCC powered track, no matter if throttle 10 or the throttle on the dc power pack is controlling it.

I suspect Chazzlee is a Zephyr user.  The Digitrax Zephyr is the only DCC command station that can use "jump throttles."  A dc power pack connected to an E-Z Command works quite differently, even though both give you an extra DCC channel to work with.  The Zephyr and many other DCC command stations use address 0 to control dc locomotives but the E-Z Command uses control button #10 for that job.  Or more correctly, it uses control button #10 unless a dc power pack is also hooked up in which case it uses the dc power pack throttle to control a dc locomotive. 

Not withstanding the above paragraph, Chazzlee's advice to park your dc locomotive on a dead siding or take it off the track altogether is excellent if you absolutely have to run it on a DCC powered track.  My own advice would be to install a decoder in Thomas and avoid the problem altogether.  With the dual function DCC/dc decoders available today, you can still run your decoder equipped locomotive on a dc track if you want to.  With a DCC locomotive on a dc track, there are no worries about damaging anything.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

john.001

Okay - thank you all for very sage advice.  In sum, I've decided to go with unplugging the DCC system and using a straight DC system with the DC Thomas & Friends.  That way, there should be no problem with frying the DC engine or doing harm to the Bachmann E-Z DCC controller.  When I'm playing, I'll unhook the DC and go with the DCC, etc.

Thanks again.