News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LGB trolley - reversing

Started by enginermag, June 27, 2007, 01:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enginermag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
This is my first post, so please forgive me if I sound "dumb".

I have an LGB Trolley that I want to run on  straight track with bumpers on each end. I'm using Aristo Craft track and their reversing unit kit. My power is sufficient to run the trolley IF I don't use the auto-reversing unit, however when I put it into the lineup, the trolley comes on & shuts off immediately (as in overload).

If I run a small hand car on the track, everything works just fine.

Any suggestions out there?  Would the Bachmann reversing loop kit work in this situation?
Maggie

japasha

Maggie,
Please look at the instructions for your power pack. Look for the rated current at the rated voltage. My guess is that it doesn't put out enough power for the trolley and the reversing unit. Look for a power pack that puts out about 1.5 amps of better at 12-15 volts.

enginermag

Thanks!

I'm hearing much the same thing from all my "tech support" people. I'm learning that it needs MORE than 1 amp to run well, & all my transformers produce much less than that.

Nathan

Once you have a power source that will handle the unit you may want to do what we do with our Aristo reversing unit.

Set the throttle at full speed, connect the reversing unit, and put a rheostat on the output side to do the speed controll.  The Aristo unit works best with full voltage on the timer.

Tim Brien

The original LGB power unit was approx, 0.5 - 0.6 amps maximum output.   Bachmann unit was a similiar output.  This is about the current draw of your trolley.  You definately need a power unit with an amperage output of at least one amp to operate the trolley.

enginermag

Thank you all!

I especially appreciate the hint to put the rehostat on the output end of the reversing unit. That really makes sense!