News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum New York Central passenger set

Started by david47y, April 08, 2011, 05:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david47y

I have a set of passengers cars, 4 coaches, 1 combine, 1 diner, 1 business or observation car. steel wheels, all in great shape, the lights work in the coaches but not in the other 3. I am looking to see how old they are and what is the worth of the set. any ideas. no one in this area wants to give an exact price

ACY

I bought that exact set the last year they were in production, except I had one less coach, I only had 6 cars. I got them for $70 including shipping, but that was on the low end. I think each car is worth about $17 each brand new with all components working (lights). I cannot tell you how old they are exactly, but they are at least 4 years old since they have been out of production, they could be up to 15 years old I'd need to see picture of them and the boxes to tell you for sure.  All 7 if mint are worth about $120 combined, in the condition you described they are worth about $90 due to the lights being non-functional in some and the cars not being new. My Hobbytown USA has the set in NYC and has the cars at $20 each individually or $15 each if you buy the whole set.

david47y

i saw a set at a hobby shop for 350.00 new. pennsylvania

ACY

What a rip off, look on ebay you can get these for $20 each.
Here is a 4 car set for $50 shipped

Bachmann HO Spectrum Passenger Car Set: Complete Set of 4 Cars with interior Lights. 5 Bids, $51.02, Free shipping
Here is a link of 5 for $60
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spectrum-five-car-B-O-heavyweight-passenger-set-/130503531348?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1e629ddb54
Individual cars are $12-$22 (including shipping) each depending on if they are the new version and the road name.

david47y

still not the set I have, 7 cars in mint condition, lights not working in 3 cars.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: david47y on April 08, 2011, 07:30:46 PM
still not the set I have, 7 cars in mint condition, lights not working in 3 cars.

doesn't sound mint to me, and at $350 it must've been a different scale, at $50 a car, you're looking at williams by bachmann not bachmann spectrum

ACY

Quote from: david47y on April 08, 2011, 07:30:46 PM
Since the lights don't work in 3 cars, those 3 cars are not mint, also if you have the older version, they are much less desired. All I know is that nobody in their right mind would pay $350 for 7 brand new Bachmann Spectrum heavyweight passenger cars, nobody would pay you more than $140 for your 7 cars if they were all brand new with working lights. Who wants cars with non-working lights?

Doneldon

David-

I don't enjoy being a wet blanket but I must tell you that your train is not really worth a great deal. For one thing, it is mass market merchandise and, accordingly, there are lots of them around. Second, the cars are most certainly not mint if three cars have non-working lights. You and I may realize that the lights are easily and inexpensively repaired but potential buyers will significantly devalue the set nonetheless. Last, they are plastic. Historically, very few plastic items hold their value and fewer yet appreciate.

If you believe your set is worth more than several of us are suggesting, put it up for sale and prove us wrong. And if you intend to keep the set I would submit that its value on the open market is meaningless because in keeping it you demonstrate that you value it beyond mere market value. And in the final analysis, that's what really matters.
                                                                                                                                          -- D

Woody Elmore

I agree with the last post. Basically, the cars are worth whatever someone wants to pay for them.

HO trains are not the hot collectible. If you have a Lionel standard gauge Blue Comet set then you'd be talking large bucks.

Get some track, find a Bachmann engine you like and start up in a really great hobby.