News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax w/Dcc, but no sound.

Started by ebranden, April 01, 2011, 06:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebranden

I have my New Climax into Bachmann for repairs. Busted gears and possible stripped drive shaft.

Well, with that being said, when I get it back I want to add a good sound system!  Who's do you folks recommend, and can the factory DCC set up, control operations functions, and also the sound system as well.
I was on a sight a few days ago, and can't remember who's it was, but they had a kit that I could make a 3 truck Climax, and the more I thought about that addition, I thought that I could put the sound system electronics/speaker into the add on 3 truck Oil/water tank, thus being able to have a larger speaker. I'll appreciate some guidance on my thought process on this project. I would also appreciate any direction that you can give me on who has the best electronics, and 3 truck kits, as I don't remember where I saw that 3rd truck add on kit...................Many thanks in advance ........................Brandy

Jim Banner

The Tsunami decoders that Bachmann uses for DCC and sound in the Climax are an excellent choice.  Unfortunately, the exact decoder that Bachmann uses is not available for after sales installation.  But the full featured Tsunami is available from Soundtraxx dealers.  It includes not only a sound system that will blow you away but also a motor control decoder that is state of the art.  In my opinion, using a high grade sound plus motion decoder is worth the extra expense compared to just adding a sound card to your present decoder.  For one thing, there is less of a problem fitting one decoder into the available space than there is with fitting two.  For another, once you have a great locomotive with a high grade sound system, I don't think you will be satisfied with a run of the mill decoder driving it.  I have been very happy with my Climax with factory installed Tsunami.  I really enjoy the way it will start at very low speed as soon as I crack the throttle.  This is great for watching all the motion and valve gear.  And I like the way you can synchronize the steam sound without having to fiddle around with synchronizer contacts and drums.  Both the smooth low speed operation and the tight sound synchronization result from the BEMF motor control that the Tsunami uses.

I am assuming that you have installed decoders before and that your DCC system is capable of programming them.  But whatever your familiarity with DCC, please feel free to ask questions and one or more of us who hang out on this board will do our best to help you.  Just keep in mind that questions are free - decoders are not.

Jim       
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ebranden

Jim. 1st thank you for your help!  I know nothing about decoders or anything else pertaining to Model Railroading. I got back into this with my grandson, and hadn't done so, since about 55 years earlier in my life. With that being said, I'm very supprised with all of the changes since my prior experiences as a kid.

My little engine (Climax) has factory installed DCC, but no sound.  If I understand what you said,  basically get in touch with Sound Traxx folks, and give them all of my info, then they can direct me accordingly. What sounds and DCC would you recommend, and would you recommend putting the larger speaker into an add on tender, behind the coal/oil bunker on the engine at present.
I have a MTH Climax 3 rail, and I beleive they have the speaker installed in the 3rd truck box. I just thought that this would give added sounds to the engine while running. I don't pretend to know or understand all of the electronic jargon or ramifications. I know one thing for sure, that a very good sound system, and operations controler, makes all of the difference in model railroading..........Thanks again..........Brandy :)

kendoitall

Brandy,

For the Bachmann Climax, Soundtraxx recommends the TSU-750 Light Logging Decoder, a 810054 speaker, 810110 Baffle Kit.
I too have a mute Climax and will be doing the installation eventually.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!