Williams Madison Passenger Cars on 027 Track

Started by jimmlat, April 09, 2011, 09:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmlat

I was thinking of buying a Williams Madison Passenger Car Set, but noticed that they indicate in the specificatons: Navigates 0-31 curves. I was wondering if they would also navigate on 0-27 curves without having a problem?

GTBob

I do not own the 15.5" passenger car you refer to.  However, I do have a WBW 17" FP-45 diesel loco.  I run this loco all the time on my 027 track layout.  The loco has no issues w/ the 027 90 degree curves.  There is a slight overhang, but no big deal(in my opinion).  But, this loco will not work on a Lionel 027 switch as it hits the switch relay cover midway thru the turn.  My guess is you will have the same problem w/ the Madison car as well.

Maybe this info will help.

GTBob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

phillyreading

If the switch housing is being hit by the engine, you can use either a K-Line 027 switch or a Ross Custom switch or a Gargraves switch. K-Line switch has a wider clearance between the track and switch housing if I am correct. The Ross Custom switch and Gargraves switch are track level and don't have any clearance issues, adapter pins need to be used when using a Ross or Gargraves switch with other brands of track.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

phillyreading

A Marx switch may work for some engines and passenger cars but not all. That is why I recommend using Ross or Gargraves switches, as their switch motors are mounted like an H.O. switch machine, totally out of the way.

Lee F.

MAPA JCT

They will RUN on 0-27, but going into a 0-27 curve, the cars will HANG over the track as it goes around the curve. They will not negotiate 0-27 switches either.

gmaneis

Just wondering if the Madison cars have three axle trucks. If so, O 27 might be a problem. WBB semi-scale cars that specify O-27 of course will work, but I would be cautious about using anything on O-27 if it specifies an O-31 minimum. I'll bet they were serious about that measurement!

3rail

Dear All,

The determining factor most of the time is the switch housings on switch tracks, but the truck pivot also comes into play as well.  A FP-45 will not run on regular O-27 curves, but will run on larger diameters of O-27 tracks.

You may also damage the wire on the passenger cars when running on smaller curves than the recommended size.

Regards,

3rail

DominicMazoch

But if you are running the cars on O-27 PROFILE track, but with a larger radii, that should not be a problem.

Marx did have at one time O-34 track in O-27 profile.

K-Line did have O-27 PROFILE track in 42" curves and switches.