Single locomotive operations on local trains

Started by Loco722, April 10, 2011, 10:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

The Metrolink in Southern california uses Single Loco's as well, I don't think I have ever seen a double, I think the most cars I have seen is maybe Eight I hav'nt really ever counted

NM

RAM

i might add the the Santa Fe FTs did not have  drawbar connection.  They had couplers.

jward

you are correct about the santa fe ft's having couplers at both ends. i had mentioned this in another thread. this was a non-standard coupler mounting due to the design of the ft b units, and had to  be draped over the axle and traction motor on the lead truck of the b unit (yes, b units did have designated front and rear}.......

this modification was done at santa fe's insistance, as an extra cost option, and required a complete redesign of the coupler shank. as designed, ft a & b units were connected by drawbars, and most roads bought theirs this way. some roads did later modify theirs with couplers instead of drawbars, but santa fe's are the only ones i know of that came from the factory with couplers on both ends of each unit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

phillyreading

Tri-Rail in West Palm Beach to Miami FL, uses single engine diesels during the week and on weekends uses double headed diesel units pulling or pushing only three double deck passenger cars.

Lee F.

Loco722

Hello there,

Wow, that's more info than I expected. Thanks guys :).

Loco722.