News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Fathers collection

Started by dheaton, April 11, 2011, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheaton

My father has a huge collection of trains and train stuff.  I know nothing about them.  How can I find more information about the trains and engins?  On the bottom of some of the engines it says Bachmann but no other numbers that i can find anywhere.  Any help finding out about these would be helpfull.  Thanks in advance.

ACY

Photos would help us help you, otherwise do an ebay search for completed listings. The only trains with collect-ability are brass, or really old (made in the 40's and thereabouts)  Lionel or American Flyer. Most Bachmann diesels from before 1985 would probably be worth only about $5-$10 to most people if it runs. Most Bachmann steam engines from before 1985 are worth between $10-$30 if they run depending on type and condition. Most Bachmann freight cars from before 1990 are worth 50 cents to a dollar. Bachmann freight cars made recently that have knuckle couplers and metal wheels (Silver Series) are worth about $5 if C-8 or better, $7 if C-10, and $3 if C-6 or better. Spectrum passenger cars are worth $18-$22 each if they are C-10and have knuckle couplers, if horn hook couplers they are worth $12-$15 each if they are C-10, either in C-8 or better then $8-$10 each. For Silver Series Passenger cars they are worth about $18-22 each if C-10, $10-15 if C-8 or better. Keep in mind that these are just general ranges and your results may vary.

dheaton

Thank you acy I appreciate your reply.  I am interested in what the value may be but I really would like to know what model they are.  For example one of the engines has a number 482 on the side.  Does that relate to some model number or just paint.  Is there a way to find out about the peices that are here short of taking photos of each one and sending it in?  When a train is ordered from Bachmann I assume there is some sort of number that goes with that train.  Is there no model numbers of any of this stuff.
I am surprised at the low cost of all that you mentioned.

Thanks again.

ACY

If the trains are from 2000-present they are worth more. If they have DCC they are worth more. If they have sound also then they are worth more. The reason for the low cost is that all the newer items are exponentially better than what we had in the 1960's through 1990 or so, and therefore they generally are much less desirable. Also most people prefer brand new things as opposed to used but excellent condition (C-8).
If you have the original boxes then they should have the Bachmann product numbers. If they are older though then it will be more difficult to figure out what they are because records will not be online and I'd have to check old Walthers catalogs. If you do not have the original boxes with product numbers then you would need to take photos of the items you want identified. The number 482 on the side is the road number and unfortunately won't help me identify your loco. If a box says "4-8-2" this is a type of loco and refers to the wheel configuration, but "482" is just the road number.

Jerrys HO

If you have a model railroad club around you could probably get someone to look at it for you but if you are selling it I would do as acey said send in some pics to him first. Trust me these guys are the best and very knowledgeable.

jbsmith

Quote from: dheaton on April 11, 2011, 06:05:10 PM
Thank you acy I appreciate your reply.  I am interested in what the value may be but I really would like to know what model they are.  For example one of the engines has a number 482 on the side.  Does that relate to some model number or just paint.  Is there a way to find out about the peices that are here short of taking photos of each one and sending it in?  When a train is ordered from Bachmann I assume there is some sort of number that goes with that train.  Is there no model numbers of any of this stuff.
I am surprised at the low cost of all that you mentioned.

Thanks again.

The 482 is the cab number of the locomotive. All locos have cab numbers. It is the ID of the loco within the fleet.
Like the number on a cars liscense plate or the number on a naval ships hull.
One thing you can do to ID the locos would to simply goto to an online hobbyshop and match the size and shape of the loco to the pictures of the locos for sale.  Not just the paint but the overall look of the loco. In time you will be able to tell the basic differences between lets say a GP38 and a GP40 which are very common. Or even how to tell a GP from an SD.
For example, a basic rule is GP have four wheel power trucks, SD have six wheel power trucks.

jward

try here:

http://ho-scaletrains.net/

this site covers most manufacturers of trains, with photos.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

dh-

If you do look online, pay attention to the paint job on the pictured model and to paint jobs which may be listed but not actually shown. Every railroad had its own paint scheme and sometimes several companies have manufactured a given locomotive but in different railroads' paint patterns. This might help you determine the manufacturer of a locomotive which has been made by more than one company. Of course, larger railroads are more popular with modelers on the whole so this might not help. For example, just about every manufacturer that made/makes EMD F7 locos included the Santa Fe in it's lineup. Sometimes the cab number (discussed above) might also help you because different manufacturers tend not to put the same numbers on their models. However, like paint schemes, this isn't a perfect solution.

Please consider putting some pictures on this board. There are a lot of good people on here who can help you with your identification problems. Good luck tracking down your father's train history.
                                                                                                                                -- D

CNE Runner

Everything posted above would be a logical course of action. I would also check the eBay 'Bachmann' listings as you may luck out and find an ad with part numbers.

The older Bachmann stuff really isn't worth much at all. I routinely used to buy whole boxes of the stuff to sell at train shows. It didn't take long to realize the storing and hauling of such items weren't justified by the cash returns - and we stopped accepting earlier Bachmann items (...even for consignment).

Assuming you want to dispose of the collection (or parts thereof), I would consider donating it to a charity for the tax credit. Be sure you make an itemized list and get a letter, from the charity, as to its donated 'value'.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

railsider

Good thought, Ray.  If dutiful son Heaton can find a train club with tax-exempt status, a donation to them would ensure that the stuff goes to loving homes, and also give yhim a very reliable value figure. The club, if they're like any I know, would be delighted to hold an auction, to benefit their own club treasury (or a charity of Mr. Heaton's choice -- or split for both) and the members would be thrilled to get some of the "goodies."

..............railsider