News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wood Chip Gondola Car

Started by WGL, April 13, 2011, 04:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I just bought a 60' Milwaukee Road wood chip gondola car.  I am wondering how to get wood chips for it.  This should be easier than the twigs I cut & glued together for my 60' wood pulp car last year, I hope!  :)

jward

you can use sawdust for the wood chips. several maunfacturers market dyed sawdust as "grass." you might be able to find it in a light brown shade, or you could bleach it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

WGL-

DYI! Even a hand saw and an odd piece of scrap wood -- any kind and condition will do -- will make a pile of wood chips in a very few minutes. Just saw over an empty wastbasket or piece of newspaper to catch the production.
                                                                                                                                                   -- D

WGL

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am thinking of something coarser than sawdust.  I looked at bags of wood shavings for pet bedding today, but they range from sawdust to pieces that are too big.  I probably will make my own, if there isn't an easier way.

mabloodhound

Do you have an old blender to chop up those larger chips?   Do NOT use the kitchen one (don't ask).
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security