News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout design - Visio Template?

Started by SunSdSe, April 13, 2011, 02:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunSdSe

Good Day,

I am looking for a Visio Template so I can work on some layout designs with my kids.  Does anyone have one for HO scale?

If not what do others use to layout planning?

When I was a kid... My dad and I did a lot of cut outs and drafting tools as I got older...  My kids are asking why we can't plan using the computer.  (5yr and 7yr olds... go figure?)

TIA

OldTimer

Atlasrr.com, the track people, have a free track-planning software package called Right Track Software.  The current version  number is 10.  RTS is easy to use and comes with a small tutorial.  There are other more CAD like programs available but they can be pretty pricey. 
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

SunSdSe

Thanks,  Looks like fun javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Joe Satnik

Dear SSS,

I recommend that you download the Anyrail.com layout CAD program.  It's free for the first 50 pieces and very easy and fun to learn.

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mabloodhound

Here's a discussion you may find interesting http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/p/155471/1718649.aspx.
It seems no one really likes Visio for track plans but plenty of other options.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Jerrys HO

anyrail.com worked well for me and they have a lot of track choices but I preffered ez track. If you are doing something small (4x8) the trial version may be all you need.

ryeguyisme

i've begun to use XtrackCAD, it's helped me with spacing of things and planning overall plus its FREE no limitations, it includes parameters for alot of buildings and track by various manufacturers, im still learning how to better use it but it's a good learning experience and does alot more than what paper and pencil have ever done for me

jward

in addition to the atlas right track software, they also offer for a modest cost a set of full size paper templates of their track pieces. you can photocopy these  to get as many track pieces as you need. these help you lay out the track plan you've drawn on the computer under real life conditions. plus, while you are laying out your track, you can test various configurations to see if you like something better. i for one never build my layout exactly as the plan is drawn, and i find these templates a great way to figure out exactly what i want to do before i put down any track.

rye,
i didn't know xtrack was free. does it include ez track? where do i get it?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mabloodhound

Jeff,
I did a Google search and found this http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/ says it's open source.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security