Question about mixing UK and US Thomas

Started by pblancher, February 16, 2011, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pblancher

I am looking at purchasing an OO Scale Oliver and Toad from the UK. I am concerned of the North American Thomas that I have will not look close in scale to the OO Oliver. Are they close in scale? I have been told by a couple of HO Scale people that the North American thomas is just rebadged UK version and that North American models are actually OO scale.

Phil

Cheeky_ULP

The Hornby Thomas engines and wagons will work fine with the Bachmann models.  ;)

SodorAdventures

They will, but sometimes you need to lift the bachmann wagons up because the hornby engines are larger. But thats only with some engines. Trust me, I have Hornby engines and rolling stock and Bachmann engines and rolling stock ::)   
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Cheeky_ULP

I don't really get what you mean by "lift up." I have a Hornby B12, Class 35 and a 0-4-0ST (and once Duck), and I never encountered anything out of the norm. Just different brands.

PasqualeCS96

Cheeky_ULP

I once had a Hornby Duck, but I sold it on eBay a few months back.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: Sparks on February 17, 2011, 10:52:06 PM
why you doing a custom bachmann one ?

J70

Quote from: AJWPRODUCTIONS and OzzyWoodStudios on February 18, 2011, 05:02:17 AM
Quote from: Sparks on February 17, 2011, 10:52:06 PM
why you doing a custom bachmann one ?

I think it was mainly due to the Hornby one being quite flawed. Sparks would be able to tell you when he next logs in. :)

Jack

Cheeky_ULP

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: Sparks on February 21, 2011, 12:05:13 AM
It was a bad runner for the most part.
ah you've got that problem too I thought my duck was a 'special' runner it's anoying how it always stops especially over points and my duck came with a flaw that trumps all his other flaws mine came with a loose worm drive(or gear not sure which one it's called)and one day my brother said he could manage running the engines so he gets to duck and forgot to switch a point switch when he whent on to the inside track and it knocked him off the tracks and it had happened to my engines before (the points thing) and that just knocked his worm drive out of position he could 'free wheel' much easier

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: pblancher on February 16, 2011, 11:47:27 PM
I am looking at purchasing an OO Scale Oliver and Toad from the UK. I am concerned of the North American Thomas that I have will not look close in scale to the OO Oliver. Are they close in scale? I have been told by a couple of HO Scale people that the North American thomas is just rebadged UK version and that North American models are actually OO scale.

Phil

double post apology but ti will look only slightly out of scale with olly and toad I'm unsure of as I don't have  yet

J70

The range is definitely OO rolling stock wise. Hell, the couplings give that away to quite an extent!

Some of the buildings are rebadged HO scale items however...

Jack

7029cluncastle

the chassis and ducks body is actually very old, dating back to when triang brought out the 57xx pannier tank. this was about 30 or 40 years ago now. then hornby (who is actually still triang but triang chose to use hornbys name instead) have done very minor upgrades to the chassis, it is one of the worst in the range. it is underneath the LNER J52, J83, GWR pannier, thomas, Southern E2 and LMS jinty, all of which are usually poor runners.
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

rallinen

I have been running the HOrnby and Bachmann for awhile. Though the Hornby are slightly larger I have not found it to be a big problem.  The main reason for running HOrnby is that they offer engines that Bachmann does not.

DinoNTrains

Also, Hornby couplers are slightly different than the Bachmann ones (although the shape of the couplers is pretty much the same)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)