Front Couplers on Thomas/Percy/James

Started by MetaDude27, March 04, 2011, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetaDude27

I was just wondering, has anyone here ever modified their HO scale Thomas, Percy, and/or James so that they could attach a coupling to their front(s)? If so, how did you do it?

P.S. Post a photo of how it turned out, if you'd like.

SCOTTISH RAILWAYS

sorry i have chains insted of couplings :-\

SodorAdventures

Quote from: MetaDude27 on March 04, 2011, 12:00:09 PM
I was just wondering, has anyone here ever modified their HO scale Thomas, Percy, and/or James so that they could attach a coupling to their front(s)? If so, how did you do it?

P.S. Post a photo of how it turned out, if you'd like.

I used hot glue onto the undercarriage and it worked fine if you can align it proerly
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

MetaDude27

Hot glue comes off okay, right? 'Cause if the coupler breaks, you might have a little dilemma.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: MetaDude27 on March 04, 2011, 04:32:43 PM
Hot glue comes off okay, right? 'Cause if the coupler breaks, you might have a little dilemma.

Yeah, just pull it and it will fall right off :)
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

BillingsRR

Or, another way to get rid of of hot clue is to ethier put the item with hot glue on it in the fridge, or rub on ice cub on it for a while. Now since these are electric models, that may not be the best idea, but it still works.

jward

Quote from: SodorAdventures on March 04, 2011, 07:27:38 PM
Quote from: MetaDude27 on March 04, 2011, 04:32:43 PM

Yeah, just pull it and it will fall right off :)

if it pulls right off what is the point of using it? i mean, it sounds like you won't be able to pull anything with the coupler glued on like that......

i looked at my percy last night and it appears you'd have to build a mounting pad to screw the coupler into.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MetaDude27

That's what I thought you'd have to do. Only problem is I'm not sure how you would do that.

jward

i would laminate pieces of strip styrene to the underside of the body to get the proper height to mount a coupler, and use screws to secure the laminated strips to the body. then i'd screw the coupler in place. the only difference i can see specific to these locomotives would be in the size and shape of the coupler mounting pad you make.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MetaDude27

Thanks for your help. Maybe I'll try it sometime. (First I should probably finish landscaping my layout. Half of it is pure white like in some sci-fi movie! :P)

thomasforever1

PerfectPercy

Not sure if you are still interested in this, but I wanted to see for myself.

I decided to check this out with Percy. I didn't fasten it or anything, but if you really want an easy way to add a front coupler to Percy, you have just glue/fasten the square spring box to Percy's motor housing on the front of his undercarriage. If you notice the back of the model, there were two stubs that lowered the coupling hook. you need it at the right height so by gluing it in the proper spot, you can avoid this.

You can also attach a coupler to James and Thomas. Their fronts are at the same heights as are the backs of the engines. With Thomas, you can just attach it to his body, but with James, your best way to do it would to attach it to the front bogie.

PerfectPercy