Bach 2-10-2 and 22r curves Atlas vs EZ question

Started by timhar47, April 20, 2011, 09:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

Sorry for yet another topic on this engine, but its a totally different question now. I received my replacement engine today, which runs fine, except the engine doesnt seem to totally appreciate my EZ 22" curves. I can see it actually lift up the front truck when it goes into some curves, and an EZ #4 switch.
1) Has anyone ever done any adjusting to the lead truck(seems like if it had a spring in it, it would help)
2) Has anyone ever noted that a Bachmann 2-10-2 has similar problems on Atlas Code 100 22"r curves and Atlas #4 switches?

All my diesels, including a Bach SD40 run fine on the track and the #4 EZ switches.

Thanks - Tim

ACY

QuoteAll my diesels, including a Bach SD40 run fine on the track and the #4 EZ switches
That is not relevant to your steam loco though. Why don't you either use 24" radius track or flex track and make your radius bigger and see if that helps. There isn't any difference between Atlas 22" radius and Bachmann 22" radius.

timhar47

Welllll - that would be because I already spent a fortune on EZ track & switches, and also dont have room for their 'next' size up, which is 26, I think. The reaon I ask about Atlas is whether this problem is related to the engine, or EZ track (which can and has had bad moments, especially with switches)

ACY

There is nothing wrong with your #4 turnouts, you just should probably have used #5 or #6 turnouts for best results with a 2-10-2. So now you may want to try plan B, adjust the pony truck. Atlas makes 24" radius, so that is an option if it will fit.

timhar47

True - will also look at the drivers, I saw an old post in search finally.

I did not have enough faith to buy the #5 or #6 as the last time I had gone EZ, I had nothing but total derails on most of those switches, all due to no tension on the movable points, which still has several posts regarding same problems. I tried the #4's as they were all new, and none of them that I got had any issues.
(I was so disgusted at that time, that I sold the entire lot - this was - oh maybe about 2 years ago.)

ACY

You can always mix in some Atlas #6 turnouts with your E-Z track.

bobwrgt

Are you using the last hole in the drawbar between engine and tender?
Are the wires rubbing on the drawbar???  Bend them out of the way and try different positions for the wires. Mine are bent above the drawbar. You might have to remove the drawbar and bend it so it will clear the wires.
Check the front truck to be sure it is moving freely on it's pivot with no flashing left from manufacturing. Check the wheels to see that they are in gauge. Loosen the screw a half turn holding the truck on.  You can also try turning the truck over to see if it works that way.
The 2-10-2 is made to run on 22in curves. I have 2 that run on 18in and many others have reported they have some also. Even if it is meant for 22in.

Bob

timhar47

Thanks again - so I found part of the trouble, well, most of the trouble, it didnt particularly like one curve, so I decided to switch the four 22's around on that curve, found out that the curve was off by 3/4"! Meaning the straight leg on the layout side was 3/4" too short. Added in a 2" in stead of the 1.25, and she stopped going off the track on that curve.
Loosened up the lead a bit, all wheels seem pushed on as they should be, so we shall see. The sound sure is great in this engine.
And THANKS to Bachmann for their kind assistance in sending me a replacement.