News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout motors

Started by Derek, April 18, 2011, 05:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

My DCC controlled crossover points (turnouts) are faulty and will not work under DCC control, so I would like to use point motors to move the points.

Has anyone else done this, and if so, what motors are the best to use?

Cheers from New Zealand.

jward

by saying that they won't work under dcc, are you saying that you can't work them under ac either?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Derek-

What are the brands of your turnouts and DCC system. That can make a difference.

-- D

Derek

Both the turnouts (grey roadbed) and the DCC system are Bachmann.

Under DCC control only one point returns, and the other one - the blades drift across to middle ground, so it is useless as a facing point.  I'm too far way in New Zealand to send the crossover back to USA, and there are no service agents here, so I thought I'd fit some switch motors so I can get some remote control.

I just want to know which switch motors would be suitable.

Jim Banner

It sounds like you have a minor mechanical problem - one of the point rails has become disconnected from the tie bar.  Clipping it back in should fix it.  Putting in  a different switch motor will not.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

i think he's using british terminology. points are what we refer to as a switch, the blades are what we call points.

if that is true, it sounds to me like the switch motors are not getting enough power to move them all the way. either that or the one set of points has a bind in them and won't throw freely.

for analogue switch motors, i'd recommend a capacitor discharge circuit to increase the power available to throw the switch. dcc controlled  switch motors i have no experience with, so i don't know if that is an option or not.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Jeffery is right on.  My bad confusing English with english.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.