News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann On21/2?

Started by Royce Wilson, March 28, 2011, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGS Goose

I couldn't have put it better myself Bill.
RGSGoose  ;D

JohnR

Thanks Bill!!

I started with On2 1/2 in 1975.  I'm happily enjoying the surge in popularity in On2.5.  This weekend, I'll be sharing On30 with the general public at Roaring Camp & Big Trees.  Scale narrow gauge railroading at a 1:1 replica narrow gauge.  It's gonna be a fun weekend.   :D

-John

RGS Goose

Hi JerryB,
I appreciated your recent input to this thread, but felt the need to correct a slip-up you made.
Unless Bob Brown has sneaked a new wife onto the scene without telling us, his wife is Irene.
I am in Australia and attended the 1984 Narrow Gauge convention in Denver where I met Bob & Irene.
I still have occasional communication with them and a nicer couple you could not wish to meet.
This is not a criticism of your posting, just a minor correction.
RGSGoose. ;) ;)

Royce Wilson

Yes I was stirring a pot!, if this is such a hot buttom issue then why can't MR go with industry standards?
Most of us have been around long enought to know the difference and some don't care, but what about the beginner? do we help them or just stay in the past?

Royce

artkent

Have given my MRs away.  But from 1924 to 1956 D&RGW C-21 was a class of NG 2-8-0s based on tractive effort.  Other 2-8-0 classes were  C-16, C-17, C-18, C-19, and C-25.  Believe this is what they're talking about.  The 2-8-2s were K classes, K-27, K-28, K-36 and K-37 as on the C&TS RR & the D&S.
Art

HarryHotspur

Quote from: scottychaos on March 28, 2011, 10:04:36 PM
Quote from: Royce Wilson on March 28, 2011, 05:04:36 PM
So if the whole world has changed from On21/2 to On30, then why do these two magazines do this? there has to be a motive.

Royce

IMO its probably just stubbornness..
they have been calling it On2 1/2 for so long, they simply have to keep calling it that just to "save face"..
if they started calling it On30, like the other 99.9% of the hobby, they would look like they "lost the argument" or something I guess..thats the only rational explanation I can think of..because otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever..

Scot

Exactly.

Joe Satnik

Thank goodness this is just the old 2.5' 2-1/2' 30" debate.     

By the subject line I thought someone had started a new scale-gauge combo: On "Twenty One Halves". 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

artkent

Hi,
C-21 was a D&RGW class of 2-8-0s from 1924 thru 1956.  C-21 was based on tractive effort.  2-8-0s were also classed C-16, C-17, C-18, C-19, & C-25.  Again all based on tractive effort and had nothing to do with gauge..  All were narrow gauge (3 feet).
Art

NarrowMinded

Good grief,
Three different names, I only started this scale after I saw On30 on a box one day at the train shop, to ME the others put me off like an Einstein formula. On2.5 On2 1/2, I think On30 is just "cleaner"...

As far as the people who say the thread is a waste... I never understand people who care what others do, say or write when is has ZERO effect on them.

This thread has likely cleared up confusion for some just by being here.

NM-Jeff