News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bent track

Started by tlnibert, April 24, 2011, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlnibert

I have a lot of bent track, will a rail bender be of any use to straighten some of it. Who makes a good bender.
Thomas

the Bach-man

Dear Tini,
Check Aristo. I believe they still do.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

smcgill

Depends  ::)
Is it the Bachmann tim track or the others brass track.
Train-li sells the best rail bender , and it does streaten track.
Sean

tlnibert

The track is Aristo brass. Over the years, lawn mowers and deer have done a job on my track.
I went to one of the sites suggested and their prices are out of this world. They remind me of the place that advertises LGB repair. They bill me $75 an hour to work on an engine.

Loco Bill Canelos

You would be surprised what you can do manually, unless your track is bent to the point of Kinks.  I helped a friend fix straight track using nothing more than a small vise. You can do some amazing things with curved track using the vice and small blocks of  wood.  I was pleasantly surprised after we reinstalled the ties

This of course would be more tedious than if you have a bender.  I know of at least one club which have one to loan out to members, maybe you have a local club with one!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tlnibert

Bill that's a good suggestion, I can't believe I didn't think of it. I need to replace over a hundred feet of ties.
My layout's been down for a couple years, I had to hire a couple guys to repair it. I hope to have it running this week.
Thanks
Tom
Huntington, WV

Loco Bill Canelos

Hey Tom,   

Glad you will get it up and running!  Let us know how it goes. 

BTW  Plant a lot of daffodils (Deer hate them), after they bloom, don't remove the leaves, crush them to the ground and cover them lightly with mulch.   Works for me!   However, if you have a severe infestation of deer and they are starving, nothing will overcome their instinct to live.

If you have never tasted a deer tenderloin sauteed in butter, you are really missing something!  They make really great sausage as well.   I let my nephew do all the hunting, and I reap the bennies!!!

tlnibert

Bill, I have a small river back of my home, but the deer have it easier to drink from my pond. I had heard of the flower trick, but wasn't sure if I believed it.
We're already planning our trip to York in September, hope you make it.
Tom

Loco Bill Canelos

Tom, 

Wouldn't you know it!!!!

Can't make the fall fun at York, even tho I know I will miss the good deals. 

Bill

tlnibert

My daughter and her mother have TOLD me we're going. We stay at a motel in Gettysburg.
Tom