Starting out again after 10 years.

Started by theCB, April 30, 2011, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theCB

Hi everyone,

I've always loved model railroads and as a kid I always dreamed about having a layout like I saw in catalogs and museums. But being young I didn't have the money, time or patience to really get into this hobby. I used to play with HO trains then moved to N scale but never acquired a large collection. I gave up on the hobby about 15 years and got into the usual stuff like computers and videos games as was the case with people from my generation. A few weeks ago I was working with someone and during some downtime he pulled out some diagrams. I knew what they were the minute I saw them, they were track layouts. We started talking and he was starting his own HO layout in his basement, we pretty much talked for 3 hours about it. It got me thinking that now I have the financial stability and maturity to really try get this hobby going again.

Times have changed since I was into the hobby, now there is this thing called dcc which I still don't really understand and so many new options. I want to do this right and make this something I will be proud of. First of all I'm torn between N scale and HO, I really enjoy the detail of HO but N scale would allow me to make a larger layout and a smaller space. Another thing is growing up I spent lots of summers with my family that lives in Europe so I'm really into the Swiss and German alpine styles. But i've done some research on Marlkin and the prices are pretty steep.

Lastly I'd like to know if there are any websites or catalogs with basic how-to things so I can do this right step by step. I'd like to try and have a plan on how I'm going to get this all done so I don't spend or waste money on mistakes.

If anyone would be willing to give me some tips or recommend some books or websites I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jerrys HO

First off welcome back,I just got back myself. Modelrailroader magazine has a good starters guide,just go to there website and order. Woodland scenics has how to videos and a variety of new easier to use modeling supplies. This forum has helped me with alot on the new DCC stuff just go to search type in what your looking for and presto it's probably there. I chose Bachmann DCC for several reason's quality for a reasonable price, ease of use,great warranty,and alot of nice folk's on this forum that are very knowledgeable if you give them all the required info from the start. Also anyrail.com has a free download to get you started on your track design. The trial version is limited to 50 pieces and if your like me, your gonna think small but eventually go larger sooner than later so buy the download it's 59.00 US dollars. hope this helps and good luck Jerry

judgethe

I've seen a model train in a shopping mall about 10 years ago. It really caught my attention and would really love to own one. Unfortunately, model train is still way too expensive and very rare in my home country, Malaysia.

I'm in New Zealand at the moment and at last I have my own model train layout since this hobby is quite affordable (not that cheap though) over here in NZ. Pickup this hobby about less than 5 months ago. Since I just got started so DCC is much more easier for me.

For me, I always look at youtube for some ideas on track layout. Also model train magazine doest help too :)

Thank you

jward

there are many how to books on the market. some are well thought out, some are not.

among the best i've found are the series put out by atlas. they are widely available in hobby shops, each contains track plans and wiring diagrams for at least 6 layouts. you can get them for both n scale and ho scale. even though i've been in the hobby for 40 years, i still keep a set of these books for reference, and often sit down and look at them.

atlas also has a free download of track planning software on their web site.

dcc is a relatively recent concept in this hobby. what it does is electronically control your trains through a chip called a decoder mounted in each locomotive. good decoders are fully programmable, and you can set minimum and top speeds, acceleration and deceleration rates, even control headlights. more advanced decoders include sounds as well. with dcc you can also control more than one train independently, using the same throttle for each one.

dcc command stations are available forom several manufacturers. i'd buy an entry level set with full features, one that can be integrated into a larger system if and when you decide to expand. there are some basic stripped down command stations on the market, but these usually have no upgrade capability, and you'd need to replace them when you outgrow them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mabloodhound

Definitely subscribe to the Free http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/ e-zine.   Lots of info here and you can even download the past issues.   I saved them all on my HD.

There are hundreds of sites devoted to MRR, either N scale or HO and all you need to do is Google for them.   If you can afford it, choose the DCC option and if HO, sound too.   Pick a mid priced setup as you will soon outgrow the cheapest ones.

Enjoy your return to the Worlds Greatest Hobby!
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

jbsmith

A great place to start and get re-acquainted with things

http://www.greatesthobby.com/