News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Problem....

Started by jesse, July 05, 2007, 04:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse

I'm in the process of putting togeter my first layout but I have run into a small problem.  I have the track (Bachmann EZ-Trak) but there are about 3 or 4 sections that just will not go together.  I have made sure that the ends are correctly lined up before I try to snap them together but for some reason, the rail ends are binding on the small joiners.  I was wondering if I could take some needle nose pliers and remove the joiners and then reinstall them or would that render them useless?  Anybody got an idea on how to fix this?

Jesse
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Craig

The joiners are crimped into place so removing them without destroying them would be tricky. You can buy a pack of loose joiners for about 2 bucks and simply replace them.

The material is thin; there's a good chance you could open the ends of the joiners in question with a pin or wire nail.

Good luck.

jesse

Thanks, Craig....I do have some very small jewellers screw drivers.  I will try to pry the opening a bit to see if that will let the rail slide in.

Jesse

SteamGene

Jesse,
It's real easy for a rail joiner to get "uppity."  I had that problem today with some on a bridge!  Try to get at eye level and make sure the rail is actually going INTO the joiner.  Those suckers love to ride over it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jesse

Thanks, Gene.  That was my problem.  The male end of the rail was riding up over the crimped end of the splice.  I managed to get them all snapped together after seeing what was causing the problem.  I might consider using some conductive grease like we use on heat sinks to make them slide in easier and still carry the DC current.

BTW, have you seen the DVD that NMRA put out on the 50th anniversary of the LA Terminal.  They used two of the really old steamers from the 50s.  They had one from Union Pacific and one from Southern Pacific.  Both trains left from different locations and merged in LA to pull into the station together.  It was really something to see those old horses in action again.

Jesse

SteamGene

Conductive grease might be a good idea.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

eds railroad

I'm also having track problems.....I'm using Bachmann easy track. Every time my train goes by my crossover the engine goes forward but my rolling stock turns in even when the swith is in the straght position.......

SteamGene

You need to check your points.  It sounds like they are close enouigh to the stock rail to let the car wheels catch them and take the diverging route.  Or perhaps your first car has a wheel slicghtly out of gauge and it's pulling the rest.  Try putting your cars in a different order and see what happens.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Bojangle

Jesse:

I don't spread the joiners, in fact I squeeze them together to grab the rail tighter.  To help assemble the joiners, make sure there are no burrs on the rail base,  filing a very slight bevel here helps also.  If the joiner  bottom tab is bent down a little, it can force the  rail up and over the joiner.  The tab should be flat.  I would not remove the stock joiners unless damaged, as they are tightly crimped to the rail.   

After assembly, I use what I call a "rail roller" on the joints to even out the joiners. (Just an empty plastic thread spool with a dowel through the hole.)

For better conductivity I use a spray "tuner tonic" by Radio Shack on rails and joiners before assembling.

Bo