HO scale DCC Bachmann motorized turntable not responding

Started by judgethe, April 27, 2011, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgethe

Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulties setting up the new Bachmann motorized turntable. Would appreciate if someone could advise what went wrong on my installation.

Followed everything as shown in the Bachmann DCC mode instructions manual. Removed the dummy plug and plugged in a new 4 function DCC locomotive decoder into the turntable. 4th track on the turntable is connected to my main DCC layout. When I press address number 3 on my DCC controller the turntable is not responding at all. Nothing works at all. On the other hand I could drive my locomotive forward/backward right on top of the turntable but the turntable just refused to operate.

Please advice. Thank you

---------------------------------------

Just a little update for everyone. At last the turntable is working perfectly. The main culprit/problem is my Hornby digital select controller. tried with 2 different dcc locomotive decoders and still the turntable is not recognizable by Hornby select. For those that intend to get this turntable please make sure you aren't going to use it with a Hornby Select controller, these 2 won't work at all.

My current setup which is working fine with the new turntable: Bachmann E-Z Command and the new Bachmann motorized turntable. So far tested 2 different dcc locomotive decoders (Bachmann 44915 2 functions decoder and MRC 4 functions decoder) and both working perfectly with the turntable.

---------------------------------------

r0bert

Just spitballing since I have not seen one in person yet, but since it looks and operates very much like the Atlas one...
the turntable should have separate power connections for the motor and the track power, do you have both setsconnected to your DCC power bus
For DCC operation, they can share connections to the power bus, but DC operation would require isolated connections for both rail power and TT motor operation. In DC mode, f they shared connections, the loco would run off everytime you tried to move table, and vise versa, the table would turn as you operated the loco.

judgethe

hi robert,

thankz for the input. i did everything accordingly to the bachmann installation manual. the turntable currently is drawing power from my main layout and both using the same dcc power. i just don't get it why it's not responding at all.

Steve Magee

Can you try a couple of things.

Firstly, make sure that the decoder is pressed firmly home into its socket.

Secondly, if that doesnt work, can you temporarily remove a known working decoder from one of your locos and try that in the t/t? You will need to use the address for the loco, of course.

These steps will at least go towards removing variables from the equation.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Australia

NarrowMinded

Hi, have you double checked that the decoder plug is the right way?

Nm

r0bert

OK, so you have DCC power hooked  up to the TT where the DC direction switch would be plugged in, yes?
remove the decoder and reinstall the jumper plug, does the motor sing (buzz)?
Yes? then the issue is with the decoder.
NO? then you need to track down the power interuption between the motor and the command station.
DC TT control hookup
TT <double flat plug red wire> Direction Control box < single flat plug red wire > DC power supply
DCC TT control hookup
TT <single flat plug red wire > DCC Command Station

both versions, track powered thru track connection

judgethe

Quote from: Steve Magee on April 28, 2011, 06:47:33 AM
Can you try a couple of things.

Firstly, make sure that the decoder is pressed firmly home into its socket.

Secondly, if that doesnt work, can you temporarily remove a known working decoder from one of your locos and try that in the t/t? You will need to use the address for the loco, of course.

These steps will at least go towards removing variables from the equation.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Australia

checked and decoder is pressed firmly home into its socket earlier but still not working. all my locomotives are bachmann dcc on board so i don't have a decoder. going to purchase a new decoder in the afternoon and will update everyone here later in my final attempt with the new bachmann motorized turntable. so far it doesn't give me a very good impression on the turntable.

judgethe

Quote from: NarrowMinded on April 28, 2011, 12:13:52 PM
Hi, have you double checked that the decoder plug is the right way?

Nm

i think i got it in the right position. appreciate your comment(s)

judgethe

Quote from: r0bert on April 28, 2011, 02:12:02 PM
OK, so you have DCC power hooked  up to the TT where the DC direction switch would be plugged in, yes?
remove the decoder and reinstall the jumper plug, does the motor sing (buzz)?
Yes? then the issue is with the decoder.
NO? then you need to track down the power interuption between the motor and the command station.
DC TT control hookup
TT <double flat plug red wire> Direction Control box < single flat plug red wire > DC power supply
DCC TT control hookup
TT <single flat plug red wire > DCC Command Station

both versions, track powered thru track connection

i'm suspecting the 4 function decoder as the main culprit. will get a new decoder during lunch hour today and will give it another try in my final attempt before giving it up. to be honest the new motorized turntable doesn't really give me a good impression. again, thankz for advices.

Bucksco

What brand of decoder and controller are you using?

judgethe

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 28, 2011, 04:56:23 PM
What brand of decoder and controller are you using?

i'm using a hornby digital select controller with 4 amp power adapter. i bought the decoder together with the turntable and that decoder was recommended by the online retailer to be use with the new bachmann motorized turntable. the decoder brand is MRC 1651 4 function decoder with MRC light effects. 

i'll be picking up another decoder, bachmann (44915) during lunch hour and seriously this time and seriously hope will get the turntable to work in dcc

ACY

Quote from: judgethe on April 28, 2011, 05:24:19 PM
i'm using a hornby digital select controller with 4 amp power adapter.
I think your problem may be your power source because I am pretty sure it is not NMRA compliant and that may be causing the issues.

Bucksco

The plug on the board is designed to accept an NMRA compliant decoder. I believe the decoder could be the culprit. You shouldn't have any problems if you install a Bachmann NMRA compliant DCC decoder item # 44915  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1466 .
We've had addressing issues in the past with non-NMRA compliant equipment. Check to see if the decoder your using is NMRA compliant.

If you still have problems after installing the Bachmann decoder I would suggest a call to the service department. We will help you figure it out.
I've run these under DCC at various shows and the product performs really well!

the Bach-man

Dear Judge,
Make sure that the lead track comes in at the fourth position as shown in the diagram.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

judgethe

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 28, 2011, 06:56:21 PM
The plug on the board is designed to accept an NMRA compliant decoder. I believe the decoder could be the culprit. You shouldn't have any problems if you install a Bachmann NMRA compliant DCC decoder item # 44915  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1466 .
We've had addressing issues in the past with non-NMRA compliant equipment. Check to see if the decoder your using is NMRA compliant.

If you still have problems after installing the Bachmann decoder I would suggest a call to the service department. We will help you figure it out.
I've run these under DCC at various shows and the product performs really well!

the earlier MRC decoder the one that i ordered together with the turntable is NMRA compliant.

just bought a new bachmann decoder and plugged it into the turntable. power track connected to 4th track on turntable. the moment i turned power on onto my hornby digital select the turntable spins nonstop. i can't control it at all. the motor just spin nonstop and turntable kept turning.

what is wrong with the turntable? the first decoder doesn't response on my dcc layout. now with a new replacement bachmaan decoder 44915 installed the motor just spins nonstop and i got no control on it at all. i am pretty much sure followed everything exactly as shown in the bachmann manual.

could bachmann please help me out?