News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

older bachmann niagara bulb & smoke unit

Started by the nitro man, April 30, 2011, 08:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nitro man

i need a light bulb for an older bachmann Spectrum 4-8-4 niagara. i looked on the parts section & didn't see anything for any 4-8-4. this engine has the two piece frame that is split down the middle & uses the headlight bulb with some kind of locater. does anyone have any of these, or does bachmann still have them & just not have them listed?

i also need a smoke unit for it too.

ACY

Don't bother with the smoke unit whatever you do. The light bulb you can probably get at your local hobby shop, it doesn't have to be the exact same one.

Jim Banner

Smoke units are a personal preference thing.  Many of us do not like them because they leave a film of oil on everything.  Not surprising as the smoke is made by heating up oil to its smoke point.  Your hobby shop or favorite online hobby dealer may be able to sell you an after market smoke unit.  One brand that springs to mind is Seth.  Alternately, you could post a photo of the old smoke unit so that we could see which one it is.  I suspect a number of us have a few old smoke units tucked away somewhere, ones that we do not like and do not use but never quite get around to throwing away.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

One thing I did not think of is that the smoke generator could be functioning correctly, but its normal function is so bad that it is causing him to think it is not working, defective, or needs replaced. Or perhaps he is not running the loco at full speed for a while, and thereby not allowing the unit to function. But this is all speculation, if you do replace it though, you may want to install a toggle switch under the loco.

r0bert

The smoke unit is available in Bachmann's online parts catalog,
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_91
click above
The Niagara parts page (current version)
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_216
They do not show the lamp, but it is a standard 12 volt with bare leads, and is one that the service dept or your LHS could help you with.

the nitro man

the smoke unit is like this one. http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_91&products_id=1705&zenid=pfvh9oj6057ksgff29gcnqjoe0

i broke the post out of mine, i know it's not working. i just like it to be there if i ever want it to smoke. i usually don't, but every now & then i'll drop some fluid in them to feed the kid in me. would the bulb be a 3mm bulb?

i thank all of you for your help. i just bought a cb&q 4-8-4 that looks sweet as hell, i just hope it doesn't have the pancake motor in it. did all of those have the pancake motors? i don't know why they don't offer that paint sceam anymore.

Doneldon

nitro-

I'm with the folks who counsel against using smoke. I suppose it's better if my locos smoke than my kids, but not much. If you do go for smoke, get a small insulin syringe from a friend or a pharmacy and use that to insert the smoke oil. This will allow you to get it where it belongs, instead of all over, and in the proper amount.

Incidentally, I think the aftermarket people are named Seuthe. Their units are far superior to the OEM smokers in anybody's product line. They work more reliably, deposit less obnoxious oil all over and make more smoke than the slight thread which wafts out of most smoke units.
                                                                               -- D

r0bert

Worst case for you Burlington, you could get one of the ATSF northern can motor drives, and fit the Q shell to it.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on May 01, 2011, 11:31:51 PM
nitro-

Incidentally, I think the aftermarket people are named Seuthe. Their units are far superior to the OEM smokers in anybody's product line. They work more reliably, deposit less obnoxious oil all over and make more smoke than the slight thread which wafts out of most smoke units.
                                                                               -- D

In sooth, you are correct.  Sorry if I left U out.  And E too.

Seuthe smoke fluid, also listed as smoke oil, distillate, and even distollate, does not appear to have a Material Safety Data Sheet.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.