Older 0-4-0 Tank Engine with stripped gears

Started by caberat, May 01, 2011, 02:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caberat

I recently won an auction for 2 of the older version 0-4-0 tank Porter engines. They are lettered with "Oak River Lumber Company" livery which I believe were originally offered in Big Hauler starter sets. They looked in very good condition on the outside but when I went home to test run them, no go. After taking them both apart, I discovered one was missing its motor along with stripped gears and the other has stripped gears as well. I could not find these models in the latest Bachman catalog or on this site, to say the least of gear replacements. Are these still repairable and are there parts available ? A prompt response would be appreciated.

Barry BBT

Caberat,

I have replacement gears for the early sidetank Porters and 2-4-2s.

If you will send me an email, I will send you a picture of them in the chassis.

barrysbigtrains@live.com

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bachmann never made any locos lettered that way so they are definitely custom lettered.  They were poor runners from the get go unless well cared for and not overworked. 

Barry's gears are really great, and you won't regret gettting them!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

caberat

Thank you Loco Bill. I am new to this site and I appreciate your advice and "historical" input. Yes, I will pursue this with Barry's Big Train. Thanks again, caberat.

jsmvmd

Dear Bill,

Glad to see you are considered to be "historical!"  At my age all the younger gals think I am a dinosaur !  ;D

Caberat is right about your giving very good advice.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Gandy Dancer 1

Loco Bill-

If you are referring to the 1:22.5 Side Tank Porter, it was my impression that these locomotives were notably good runners - or are you referring to a different locomotive?  Please illuminate.

Gandy Dancer

Loco Bill Canelos

I am talking about all the older versions from 1989 and 1997

0-4-0, Clementine Mining Co.
0-4-0, Emmett Kelly Jr.
0-4-0, Paul Bunyan Logging
0-4-0, Coal Creek Lumber

2-4-2, with tender, Union Pacific
2-4-2, with tender, PRR
2-4-2, White Pass & Yukon
2-4-2, undec

0-4-0, Ely Thomas Lumber Co.
0-4-0, West Side Lumber Co.
0-4-0, Painted, unlettered

These older versions I was referring to were notable for stripped gears. High running hours, heavy loads and lack of lubrication quicken  the stripping problem.   Barry of Barry's Big Trains could give you the technical details, I just keep a historical record rather than tech details.  I rely heavily on Barry, as he is an expert who has made many fixes and replacement gears for Bachman locos. 

A lot depends on how you run your loco and how well you take care of it.
Several of the above were only sold in sets.

Bachmann's newer locos 2000and up, and Spectrums have been much better runners.

Jon D. Miller

Gandy Dancer

"Historical" Loco Bill has provided a very complete listing of these very early Porters.  These Porters  had a running time before failure that could be measured in minutes, for the most part.

You may be thinking of the Porter introduced in the 1998 catalog.  That Porter was a step between the Porter being discussed and the later 1:20.3 Porter.  The Porter introduced in 1998 was listed in the catalog having numbers 11396, 11397, and 11398.

These 1998 version Porter locomotives were greatly improved over the original versions. These Porters had among other features metal mainrods, siderods and valve gear.  Most, if not all, detail  parts were metal.  The chassis had an equalized front axle.

These Porters have proven over the years to be good runners and very reliable.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

I was being kind, but Jon is right some only lasted a few minutes right out of the box.

The ones listed below are the good runners.  You will get the best possible results buying any of the following.  If buying on ebay and the seller does not list the BBachmann number ASK, this way you will not get burned.  My personal prefrence is to buy any of 825xx versions of the 0-4-0, the cost is really very reasonable from the most common discount mail order sellers

The porter evolution is just like the Big Hauler 4-6-0 evolution from the R/c version to the latest version 6 chassis with metal gears.  Bachmann continually worked to improve running capability with each new version.  It will remain to be seen if the Version 6 chassis 4-6-0 with the new metal gears is really a good runner.  In 2000 the version 5 chassis turne3d out to be a really great runner.  I have three and they are great.  My spectrum porter runs on an automated back and forth track and just goes and goes!!

jsmvmd

Dear Guys,

I have not bought anything onlilne for about 10 years.  Never had too good luck dealing with the "NYC" or the "New England" dealers, meaning they only want to sell you stuff, but not discuss part numbers.  How would you ensure getting an 825xx Porter ? 

Best Wishes,

Jack

Loco Bill Canelos

Jack,

Trainworld has them for $109.99.

Follow this on Ebay, some have sold for just under $100;
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRUM-NARROW-0-4-0-SIDE-TANK-PORTER-TRAIN-BLK-82598-/200600462747?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eb4b8259b

I haven't checked Wholesale trains or St Aubin's.

Good luck