News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-2 sneak peek!

Started by Bucksco, May 01, 2011, 08:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

At the ECLSTS,  I was really impressed with this little engine.  Particularly the LYN and the green painted US version. 

Can anyone confirm, will these will negotiate 2' radius curves?
Also, I see they are DCC ready.  Is it the same plug and play board that Aristo craft puts in their equipment?

Bucksco

The locomotive will negotiate an R1 curve. It does not have the same electronics package as our Spectrum Large Scale locos. It has an NMRA 8 pin socket and a factory installed speaker.

Jon D. Miller

The CD&StL took delivery of their new 2-4-2T late this afternoon.  The new 2-4-2T is light years ahead of the original 2-4-2T offered years ago.

While not a Spectrum series locomotive, the level of detail rivals that of the Spectrum line.

The new side tanker was given a quick lubrication and then run light for about an hour.  It runs smooth as silk.  Bachmann has hit a home run with this locomotive, at least based on the initial test run.  This will make a great locomotive for those with tight radius curves.  

Take a close look at this 2-4-2T. It may be just the locomotive you are looking for and at a price that won't break the bank. ;D

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Jon D. Miller

The new Bachmann 2-4-2T was put into revenue service this past weekend at the Chippokes Steam and Gas Engine Festival.  The little tanker's performance was flawless.

The 2-4-2T is on the headend of a passenger consist.  It can be reported that the locomotive is right at home on 2 ft. radius curves.  Very quiet and smooth operation.  Throttle response is smooth from start all the way through the speed range.

JD

norman

Hi Mr. Bachmann and folks:

Are the side tanks removeable and is there a round boiler behind those side tanks?

This 2-4-2 loco would make a good start to build a 2-4-4T model similar to

Baldwin 2-4-4T : Californian, 'Visalia RR' 1877 2-4-4T

Mr. Bachmann is there any chance of a 2-4-4T of similar appearance to the Baldwin 2-4-4T : Californian, 'Visalia RR' 1877 2-4-4T loco as a follow up to this model?

Thank you

Norman

Jon D. Miller

Short answer, NO.

The tanks are removeable, however the tank base is part of the boiler casting.  The boiler behind the tanks is round. With the tank base being part of the boiler it will take some modification.

The tanks contain stacks of steel plates to give the locomotive weight.

Anything is possible.  The tank base could be cut off the boiler. Then some type of boiler rapper would be required.  Probably more work than the end result would produce.

JD

tomplatten

Unfortunately, as a retiree on a fixed income, Bachmann is pricing itself out of my ability to pay. I knew that as they improved their trains this would eventually happen! Guess I have to keep my eye on Ebay!