News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Differences in 4-4-0s

Started by Flowing, May 01, 2011, 03:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowing

I'm curious as to what differences there are between the unlettered HO Spectrum 4-4-0s, products 83402 and 80101. 80101 does not seem to come with a bell, based on pictures of this model. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks...

r0bert

one is a Baldwin 4-4-0, and the other is a Richmond 4-4-0
The unlettered versions normally contain all the detail parts for all versions of that model.
If you look at the southern version of each type, the light, smokebox door, and bell are different.
The unlettered version just didn't have all it's add on parts installed.
Catalog photos are generally shot by an outside agency, who's photographer wouldn't know the difference between a 0-6-0 and a DDA40X.
I have seen many messed up catalog photos, including one from a MAJOR manf. with the locomotives tender turned around backwards on the cover shots.

Doneldon

Flo-

The purposes of unlettered locos are two: First, they allow us to letter our locomotives for whatever real or imagined railroad we want without having to remove factory applied lettering first. Second, they allow us to more easily customize our locos' appearance so we can get a specific look or perhaps develop a "family" look as is characteristic of many 1:1 railroads.

rObert-

PRICELESS: "one from a MAJOR manf. with the locomotives tender turned around backwards on the cover shots"

-- D

Flowing

Thanks guys. I am modeling a freelanced steam-era shortline (the Dadeville Reeltown & Northern, set in east Alabama) and am always on the lookout for high quality, ready-to-run unlettered/undecorated HO steam. I am not big on building or modifying locos but I do enjoy applying decals and dry transfers. I am just shopping around right now looking for my next loco and thought either of these 4-4-0s would be a good fit.

Doneldon

Flo-

Smaller steam locomotives like the 4-4-0 are right on point for a steam era shortline. Depending on the "size" of your railroad, other smaller steam like Moguls and 10-wheelers would also be appropriate. You might add an Atlantic for small, light passenger service, or perhaps some Prairies (my favorite), Connies or even Mikes for heavier hauling.

Good luck with your Imaginary Central RR. For my money, it's the most fun wat to go.
                                                                                                                                  -- D

r0bert

Don't overlook the little 0-6-0 tank either, it's a great little loco for brachline duty haulin' the local.