Isolating two loops using EZ Track #6 Crossovers

Started by Bill Mugford, May 03, 2011, 02:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Mugford

Hi:

My Dad bought two EZ Track #6 Crossovers to connect an inner 18" loop to an outer 22" loop.  His idea was to allow two independently controlled trains to cross from one loop to the other.  But...

He cannot find out how to isolate the two loops, one from the other.  Each transformer feeds both tracks.

Does anyone know how to isolate the loops using these crossovers?

Some people have tried cutting the crossover tracks between the loops, finding that power still gets fed between the loops.

So, Bach-Man, Bach-Men, what's the answer?

My Dad is 80 and needs to know soon!

Very Gratefully,

Bill

ACY

The #6 Crossover were built for use with a DCC layout, so I am assuming you are using DC.

Len

Bill,

It is possible to modify these crossovers for DC operation. Changes have to be made to the connections underneath the crossover. David Harrison has an explanation of what needs to be done on his web page at: http://web.me.com/msibnsf/Acela_Express,_The_Need_For_Speed/Modeling_Techniques.html The instructions are way down towards the bottom of the page. You may need to copy the pictures and blow them up a bit, as they're a bit hard to see on the web page.

Bach-Man,

When is someone at Bachmann going to figure out they'll sell a lot more of these crossovers if they redesign them with removable jumpers to isolate the sides for DC operation?? Or, at the least, include instructions for modifying them in the box?

I've always wondered why whoever at Bachmann thought only people using DCC on their layouts would be interested in these crossovers?? Especially when, even now, DCC users are still in the minority of HO & N modelers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bill Mugford

Guys:

Your suggestions are very helpful.

I'll check out the website of the fellow who has modified his.

Gratefully,

Bill