Alabama Tornadoes and the Monks' Island Railway

Started by CNE Runner, May 04, 2011, 10:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

By now you are aware of the devastating tornadoes that destroyed large portions of the South. Fortunately Monks' Island was spared any damage - excepting the several thousand sticks on the front lawn. We were lucky...and we know it.

The staff, and management of the railway realized that the victims of the April 'twisters' needed help...and needed it quickly. Every available piece of rolling stock was utilized/respotted/emptied and filled with whatever items the islanders thought prudent. Here we see the uncompleted Sweet Haven Cannery being utilized as a shipping point for the outgoing supplies.
The Cannery (a Blair Line craftsman kit) is approximately 3/4 complete; but was pressed into service as an assistance assembly point...the refrigeration units sure came in handy!

Yes, that is a beer reefer...anything that will hold assistance is being used. I took this picture on the return run to Molena Point with outgoing cars for the ferry. We are shipping assistance as fast as we can traverse the island (and the ferry can dock). The Plymouth is apart for maintenance, so we are using the GE 45-tonner to traverse the island...and the Trackmobile to spot cars on the Sweet Haven end.

We'll get through this if the Monks' Island Railway has anything to say about it.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Cody J

Very nice way to incormorate real-world events into your own little world. Now you just need to somehow incorporate the death of bin Laden into your model railroad  ;)

Ps- Glad that you and your home were spared any damage

Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/