News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 or 4-8-4

Started by the nitro man, May 04, 2011, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nitro man

i'm wanting another steamer. i'm not sure if i should go with a berkshire or a northern. i have a niagara & like it, plus i sold my ahm/rivarrosi berkshire so i could use one of those as well. are the bachmann bershires small like the ahm berkshires? how do they compair in pulling power to a 4-8-4? i'm wanting a NPR 759 or a santa fe 4-8-4.

jonathan

NM,

I can't speak for the Northern.  However, I have the Berk (Kanawha for C&O version).  I like it very much.  It's not a Spectrum.  I have seen new ones go for very reasonable prices on line and at train shows. 

The Berk needs extra weight, mostly up front.  Mine would pull about 20 cars prior to adding about 2 ounces.  After adding the weight, she would pull 33 cars with ease.  That's all my layout can handle.

In a previous thread, I described adding sound to this loco.  It was my first time and relatively easy.  I have run it DC and DCC, and it has performed very well.

It looks large, similar to my Heavy Mountains.  I can't recall how big the AHM looked.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

nitro-

Another thing to consider is what you'll use the loco for. Berks were big, brawny freight haulers but not often used in passenger service except in a pinch. Northerns were also muscular but their four-wheel pilot trucks and generally large drivers made them useful for both freight and passenger service. It's true that they were initially considered as passenger power but the railroads caught on to their dual personalities pretty quickly.
                                                                              -- D

bobwrgt

I have the 4-8-4 Dcc/DC Northern and it is a very large engine and runs very well with lots of pulling power. This is the newest one. I don't think the Berk would come close to pulling or size.
I have three AHM/Rivarossi Berk's and I'm happy with them. I think the AHM/Rivarossi steamers are oversized for HO scale compared to Bachmann ,Proto and Broadway steamers. With their traction tires they pull quite well. The Proto Berk has a lot of detail and runs very smooth but i don't think it will pull much more that the Bachmann Berk.

Bob

Pacific Northern

Quote from: bobwrgt on May 05, 2011, 08:35:49 AM
I have the 4-8-4 Dcc/DC Northern and it is a very large engine and runs very well with lots of pulling power. This is the newest one. I don't think the Berk would come close to pulling or size.
I have three AHM/Rivarossi Berk's and I'm happy with them. I think the AHM/Rivarossi steamers are oversized for HO scale compared to Bachmann ,Proto and Broadway steamers. With their traction tires they pull quite well. The Proto Berk has a lot of detail and runs very smooth but i don't think it will pull much more that the Bachmann Berk.

Bob

The newer runs of the Proto Berk come with a set of traction tires should the owner want more pulling power. The first run of the Proto Berk and mallet did not come with traction tires and there was a lot of complaining from purchasers regarding their lack of pulling power. I unfortunately bought one of the early Proto Berks. I contacted Walthers and was informed that the traction tire sets would not fit on the earliest versions - bummer.
Pacific Northern

the nitro man

judgethe

sorry guys,

not to be rude but i would like to ask a question related to bachmann 4-8-4 niagara. i'm expecting to receive my first steam locomotive by end of next weekend. in fact i bought 2 steam locomotives; spectrum 2-10-2 and 4-8-4 niagara and i only can keep one. i'm still undecided and what is the minimum radius required to run 4-8-4 niagara?

thank you

ACY

According to Bachmann the minimum radius is 22 inches for the 4-8-4 and 22 inches for the 2-10-2.

judgethe

Quote from: ACY on May 07, 2011, 01:24:20 AM
According to Bachmann the minimum radius is 22 inches for the 4-8-4 and 22 inches for the 2-10-2.

hi acy,

does 3rd radius consider as 22 inches radius? sorry i'm using hornby tracks so it's a bit confusing for me when it comes to 22 inches :)

ACY

It is 56 cm. Measure from the center of the circle to the first/inside rail and it should be close to 22", it will exceed 18". So you are using 3 rail track similar to Marklin? Bachmann (US) locos can't run on 3 rail track.

the nitro man

i have an older niagara that runs great on 18" radius track. did they change them or something?

ACY

Quote from: the nitro man on May 07, 2011, 11:27:56 AM
i have an older niagara that runs great on 18" radius track. did they change them or something?
They have changed a good amount over the years and for the one millionth time, just because yours runs great on 18" radius track, doesn't mean anyone else's will run great on 18" radius track. I have these DCC ones: 2 NYC Niagras, 2 ATSF Northerns, 3 N&W J classes, 2 SP GS-4s, and one DC ATSF 4-8-4. The only one that I have that will not derail on 18" radius is the old DC ATSF Northern, it has spring loaded pilot and trailing trucks.

the nitro man

that's what mine is, a dc can motored niagara. did they tighten up the side to side movement of the drivers or what?

ACY

Quote from: the nitro man on May 07, 2011, 11:49:00 AM
that's what mine is, a dc can motored niagara. did they tighten up the side to side movement of the drivers or what?
The drivers on my old one have more lateral movement than all my newer ones. Also the pilot and trailing trucks are more prone to derailment on the new ones because they don't have the springs. So I had to make some modifications to them.

uncbob

Get the 2-8-4

Runs great looks great

Tender on the 4-8-4 is too big

I have one and will convert to use a smaller tender

I converted the 2-8-4 to DCC Sound

My fave engine