Installing sound in Bachmann DCC equipped FT-A/B Loco

Started by lonesomewhistle, May 04, 2011, 03:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonesomewhistle

I recently purchased  a Bachmann HO FT-A and B unit which are both DCC equipped. I want to install a SoundTraxx Tsunami TSU GN1000 sound controller in either the A or B unit. I know that this sound unit is compatible with an Athearn Genesis FT diesel but not sure if it will work in the Bachmanns. The installation appears simple enough according to the installation video for the Athearn unit but since I am relatively new at this hobby help would be appreciated.

ACY

The A unit is a tighter squeeze than the B unit, make sure you measure and buy a decoder and speaker that will fit, you will need to remove the stock decoder to make some room. I don't think there is very much room to install a speaker that will yield good bass sound, but others claim there is.

r0bert

I don't have a GN1000 handy, but assuming it's the same size as the stock Genesis
board, it will fit in ether loco mounted with foam tape on top of the motor.
It's a close fit on the width, so make sure none of the board terminals or components touch the chassis sides.  I would line the inside walls of the chassis with electrical tape in the area that the board is seated
In the A unit, you can fit either a 16mm x 35mm oval speaker with enclosure, or a 28mm round speaker with enclosure modified for height clearance. Also you will need to remove the factory boards mounting lugs from the rear of the chassis for speaker placement.
In the B unit, installation would be the same, except there is room for an additional
speaker of either size at the front of the chassis.

richg

Use Kapton tape for insulating as it is quite thin and very tough. I have not looked for it locally.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Below is what I use for installing decoders in my diesels. It is recommended by LItchfield. I buy it from a hardware store in town.
It is the Mounting Tape with red backing.

A couple times I had to remove the decoder and was able to reuse the tape.
The white type foam tape can be difficult to remove.

My light board Tsunami fit very well in F type shells with no problem.

You might put a 16mm x 35mm up in the shell firing down. Maybe a 28mm on the rear shell firing up.
Some HO diesels use 28mm laying flat firing down. My BLI diesels are like that but have the space over the trucks open.
My Atlas uses two 28mm facing each other standing up at a slight angle to each other.
Don't know about area for baffle. I have put a 16mm x 35mm speaker in a styrene baffle up inside a 44 ton and 70 ton firing down. Those shells are 16mm wide. Your FT should have room.

LItchfield Station decoder sizes.
    *  About 2.9 inches (74 mm) long
    * About 0.66 inches (17 mm) wide
    * About 0.2 inches (5 mm) at the thickest point

I would suggest getting a digital caliper if you want to do a lot of this.

Rich