News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Anyone know how to make custom decals?

Started by thewvnetwork, May 07, 2011, 01:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewvnetwork

A while back, I bought some of Testors decal making paper, and attempted to make decals with it.  While the paper works fine for dark images, the standard inkjet printer doesn't allow you to make lighter colored decals (i.e. yellow, white).  I saw that there is also "White" decal paper available as well (as opposed to the "Clear" that I purchased)...but would the white decal paper only make the lettering with a white background, or does it mean that when I cut out the decal the whole thing will be white?  I am wanting to place the yellow lettering on a black surface.

Also, as opposed to decals, I used to know someone who said he bought custom silkscreens from Athearn (?), and would then use them to detail his own boxcars and then sell them.  I have checked Athearn's website and have found nothing about this, and the person has since moved away/lost contact with me.  Any ideas?

thewvnetwork

One more thought...how about a small scale stencil?  Any idea where I can get one of those for the whole alphabet?

ACY

If you have an Alps or similar printer, you can print white, metallic (shiny) silver or gold, and other decals that you can't print with your regular printer. You can expect to pay about $500 for an Alps printer. If you use white decal paper then the whole background is white not just the letters. If you use clear decal paper then you can't get white and light colors would not show up well on black and other dark colors.
Athearn doesn't sell anything like that anymore as far as I know.
Try an arts and crafts store for a stencil, they usually have dry transfers at your LHS though in different style lettering.

Doneldon

wv-

Check your local Kinko's (now some are called FedEx Kinko's) to
see if they have an ALPS printer. Some do.
                                                           -- D

thewvnetwork

Thank you both for the information.  Unfortunately, our nearest Kinko's/FedEx is 90 miles away in Pittsburgh (no WV jokes, please, lol).  Whenever we order something and it is shipped FedEx, we have to wait an extra day while it gets exchanged with the USPS.  We do have a JoAnn Fabrics nearby, maybe they would have the stencil?  Its been a while since I was last there, but I don't recall seeing any.  I'm definitely not paying $500 for the ALPS printer, lol.

If there are any more suggestions, please throw them my way!

jward

there should be a few custom decal makers out there still.

try rail graphics. they've been in the business for years and know what they're doing.
http://www.railgraphicsdecals.com/
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Quote from: thewvnetwork on May 07, 2011, 06:09:32 AM
We do have a JoAnn Fabrics nearby, maybe they would have the stencil?
They mostly just have fabric and stuff like that hence their name, I was in one once recently around Christmas, and I did not see anything like that. You can look, but I wouldn't expect to find stencils there. Michael's would be more likely to have them.

Doneldon

wv-

I wouldn't count on JoAnn's or Michael's for stencils small enough to use on model trains. I'm also not sure stencils would do the job for you. A paint stick might work better than liquid paint. Perhaps you can find some dry transfer lettering at a real stationery store (probably not Office Max or Depot), online or at Walther's. These can work if done carefully.
                                                                               -- D

thewvnetwork

JoAnn Fabric's and Michael's both do have a limited number of items that one could possibly use for model railroading.  One thing that comes to mind is their decorative colored sand that can be used as a cheap substitute for modeling coal, river banks, or even ballast.  I do remember seeing some fancy sticker machines or something there...I'll check those out the next time I go shopping, but I'm not making a special trip. 

Thanks for the hint about railgraphics, jward!  I may go that route, but the only thing I don't like is that places like that are shady about pricing...I like to know how much they charge up front by simply looking at their site, rather than having to inquire every time I want something.  It still does look promising though!   8)

NMWTRR

Here are two options where you create the graphic on the computer and then print it out on this paper using your normal printer.

I have had good luck with HobbyCal, sometimes they don't stick well but just a little white glue under helps.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/266-P7

Also I have used Vitacal. It requires a coating after you print it.

Here is an example:

"http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/nmwtrr/Misc%20pictures%20of%20Logos/?action=view&current=NMWTRRSW1500.jpg"

CNE Runner

Related to this thread, but a slightly different topic, is the age of decal and dry transfer sets. Recently I was trying to decal a flatcar and the letters kept splitting in half. I had a similar problem with a dry transfer set on another project (only a portion of the letter would adhere to the car). I have been decaling/transferring for longer than some of you have been breathing; so technique wasn't the problem...the age of the material was. In both occasions, I was using some of my older stock...lesson learned. I now date each package of decals or dry transfers and rotate my stock.

Ray

PS: There are a couple of techniques one can use to 'rejuvenate' old dry transfers and none of these methods worked.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

i have run into that same problem. microscale decals, because of the thinness of the decal film, seem to be more affected than other brands. this is one of the big reasons why many of us old timers swore by champ decals. never had one of those come apart on me, no matter how old they were. they are, unfortunately, no longer made.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mabloodhound

I would avoid the ALPS printer as manufacturer support was discontinued in 2007.   Although you may find some used printers, the total experience wouldn't be cost effective unless you were going into business.
You are better off finding someone who already does decal printing.   There are a number of small business owners who offer the service.
As for stencils, this can be difficult to apply properly.   On another forum, modelers have been experimenting with the scrapbook diecutting machines from Joannes and elsewhere to cut stencils in tape with limited success.
This is just one http://www.modeldecal.com/ who I have NOT done business with but a Google search for custom model decals will turn up many.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ebtnut

Dry transfer lettering can usually be found at a good art supply store.  Although it may sound counter-intuitive, some folks take the dry transfers and put them down on the clear decal paper, then apply them as decals.  It is much easier to get the lettering down clean and straight on a flat surface than to try applying them on a model, especially one with rivets, wood grain, side ribs, etc.