HO Three Truck Climax - Any Gear Problems ?

Started by Pacific Northern, May 03, 2011, 03:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

It has been a while now since Bachmann released this engine. I have been watching this site for any news that this model is subject to the high failure rate of the previous Climax, the three truck version.

I would like to purchase a few of these for my layout, but only if I am assured by those who purchased the HO two trucks that there is not the failure rate of its earlier sibling.

I know that the Shay also suffered gear problems but luckily NWSL makes replacement gears for the Shay. I know there was talk of NWSL also making replacement gears for the Climax but I an unsure if they actually did.
Pacific Northern

richg

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 03, 2011, 03:43:53 PM
It has been a while now since Bachmann released this engine. I have been watching this site for any news that this model is subject to the high failure rate of the previous Climax, the three truck version.

I would like to purchase a few of these for my layout, but only if I am assured by those who purchased the HO two trucks that there is not the failure rate of its earlier sibling.

I know that the Shay also suffered gear problems but luckily NWSL makes replacement gears for the Shay. I know there was talk of NWSL also making replacement gears for the Climax but I an unsure if they actually did.

Ask Dave at NWSL. He a answers me when I email him. He said a year or so in an email he was going to do that but I never asked anymore as I do not have the loco.
Someone in another forum just asked the same question and I directed him to NWSL, the best source for answering this question.
Dave just recently remotored and regeared a old MDC 4-4-2 for me and is very helpful.

Rich, aka The Curmudgeon

Doneldon

rich-

If you are making reference to one of my recent posts, you are not he.

-- D

Pacific Northern

I have been advised that NWSL has not yet made gear replacements for the Bachmann Climax. It is on their "to do list" so that is encouraging news.

So, once again have any of the owners of the new two truck Climax had any gear problems?
Pacific Northern

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on May 03, 2011, 11:20:39 PM
rich-

If you are making reference to one of my recent posts, you are not he.

-- D

Thats not what my girlfriend and my kinds say.  ::)
I like the term.

Rich

I do know Dave at NWSL has the ON30 Shay gears on his list also. HIs plate is quite large with a lot on it.  :)
The HO Shay has had quite a following from the different forums I watch.

Geared Steam

The previous Climax was the 2 truck version, the new climax is 3 truck, do you have this backwards?

I have a 3T, so far so good.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Geared Steam on May 04, 2011, 03:48:54 PM

The previous Climax was the 2 truck version, the new climax is 3 truck, do you have this backwards?

I have a 3T, so far so good.

You are right, I meant the two truck Climax as the locomotive with the high failure rate. On one of the other forums an owner of the two truck Climax indicated that the gear for the new Climax (the three truck) also fits the two truck. Hence, the parts for the new will fix the old version. If that is true then there is no problem with parts.
Pacific Northern

WTierce1

I have both a Shay and the new 3 truck climax and both run fine- here is a vid link to my Climax:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgYifrfwMY

I have some more videos if you check out my channel.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad