Reverse Loop ? For Bachmann. Where do I install 44597 Tracks ??

Started by TJJTrain, May 07, 2011, 07:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJJTrain

jward

assuming that the reverse loop is between the two mains at the left of the diagram, you would need to gap at both a and b. remember, a reverse loop must be insulated from the rest of the layout on both rails at both ends. to do otherwise would cause a dead short.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TJJTrain

If I Gap A & B  .. don't I still have a problem between the two switches ?

TJJTrain

trains running from A to C to D to A is a loop
also trains running from D to B to A to D is another loop
that is way I'm lost on how to Gap the Tracks and use the Auto Reverse Mod

They are loops
A comes back to point A

D comes back to point D

Think of this part of the layout as being a large oval with a cross over

jward

jerry.
obviously you are new to this. do not tell others how to wire something. if he does as you say he's going to cause some damage to his command station, decoders, or possibly both.....if there's any possible way that a train can exit a section and re enter that same section going the opposite direction (in this case via the crossover) you have a reverse loop somewhere, and you must gap and wire the track as such.

tj,
you are correct in your assumption that there are two loops involved. if there was no crossover, you'd be ok to do as jerry says. but, if you use the crossover, you are going to have a rather nasty short with that wiring scheme.

in this case you'd gap at a, b c and d. you'd use the autoreversers in the sections a-b and c-d. now, here comes the tricky part, you have to make sure that these two reversing sections are longer than the longest rain you want to run. why? when cars with metal wheels cross the gaps, they also bridge the gaps. if the rails are different "polarity" the autoreverser senses the short and instantly corrects by switching the polarity of the loop section. locomotives and lighted cars such as passenger cars have all wheels on each side effectively wired together, and bridge the gaps much longer than just a single set of wheels would. if the train is longer than the loop, you have a situation where the locomotive is spanning the gap on one end while the car wheels are trying to change the polarity on the other. avoid this at all costs. dcc systems when shorted can put out enough current to weld metal wheels to the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TJJTrain

Thank you Jward !

My son says I should Gap the switches (using 44597 track ) at track locations B and C, and also Gap between the two switches, then hook up the Bachmann Auto Rev Mod at track A  .. would this work ? The Polarity on right side of drawing / layout is fixed as shown with the arrows

jward

Quote from: TJJTrain on May 07, 2011, 09:54:35 PM
Thank you Jward !

My son says I should Gap the switches (using 44597 track ) at track locations B and C, and also Gap between the two switches, then hook up the Bachmann Auto Rev Mod at track A  .. would this work ? The Polarity on right side of drawing / layout is fixed as shown with the arrows

you could do it that way. i had assumed you were using the ez track crossover instead of two individual switches. the ez track crossover has everything wired together and would require surgery to gap properly. with two individual switches you can gap at b and c, as well as between the switches. the way your son describes  is the way it would be gapped on a dc layout. that configuration is used on many of the layouts in the atlas layout plan books, most notably on on layout HO36 oregon pass lines.

note that if you ever decided to add a second crossover, you'd have to gap it, and the loop at the other end of the layout, the same way.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

tj-

Yes, you can use the 44597, but you'll pay a bunch more than just using a razor saw to carefully cut both rails. Some people glue thin plastic into the gap to prevent any shifting/shorting, and carve it with a hobby knife to the same profile as the metal rail. You'll need both of these tools sooner or later so don't hesitate to buy them for this job if you don't already have them. They are inexpensive , i.e., less than the premium you'll pay for four pieces or pre-gapped track. And it's easy to do.
                                                                                                                                                    -- D