News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

starter set/kit

Started by oldsarge218, May 08, 2011, 08:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsarge218

I am just getting back into railroading, and am wondering which starter set would be the best to begin with?  Eventually, I want to end up with a layout on a 8' x 8' platform.
It will take me time to build this, both in scenery and in operational fixtures.  I keep reading about DC, DCC, etc., but have no idea where to start.  Can anybody suggest something for me?  Thank you in advance!  (PS, am a 62 years old beginner)

jward

what scale trains are you looking at?

if you are undecided as to scale, take a close look at HO and N scales. both will allow you to build a reasonably realistic looking layout in the the space you have. the larger scales, O and G, require much more room in order to not look toylike.

of the two, HO will be easier to work with, especially if you decide to use dcc. N scale can be hard on the eyes if you are older, and the track requires frequent cleaning because the locomotives are too small and light to run on dirty track. you'll have similar contact problems in HO if you don't keep your track clean, but at least in HO you can stick your hand inside the tunnels without having to climb under the layout.

my recommendations for HO:

thunderbolt set (santa fe)
thoroughbred set (i am partial to this one because i've seen the real ones)

for everything dcc can and should be, try one of the dynamis sound commander sets.

as you expand the layout, try to use switches with numbers (#5, #6) rather than the standard ones. the numbered ones have much gentler curves and  your trains will run better on them. the downside is that they take up more room, but it's a tradeoff that can be taken into account when you design your layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

oldsarge218

Thank you very much Jeff, you answered my question perfectly.  What an awesome site!

Again, thank you.

Bob

mabloodhound

Bob,

I was about the same age when I got back into the hobby but I found my older eyes and shaky fingers couldn't handle the HO scale stuff.

My wife has bought an On30 set for Christmas and it took off from there.   I really enjoy the On30 scale because it runs on HO track but is 1:48 size and much easier to work with as opposed to the 1:87 HO.   I can even build kits in this scale, which I enjoy.   Something I couldn't do in a smaller size.
On30 is a narrow gauge track (30") which uses HO track but in "O" scale size.   This is suitable for either a short line or non-prototypical layout.   I enjoy making up my own railroad using these.

There's currently only one set listed in Bachmann's catalog http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3664 but a search of on line sources might find more.   There is a very large and growing community of On30 modelers who have developed some great layouts.   And part of the fun is assembling your own "set" from miscellaneous pieces, much the same way many narrow gauge lines did.

But you will find many dedicate HO modelers who disagree with me.   Just take a look at the scales available at a hobby shop or RR show before deciding.   The senior years can be fun if you have a hobby you can work with.  Don't need any frustrations if something becomes to difficult to enjoy.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

oldsarge218

Dave, thanks for the information.  I will definitely have to check that out, as building my own wood scenery, buildings, etc, are part of my plan.

Thanks again.

Bob

Doneldon

Sarge-

You say you want to build your railroad on an 8'x8' platform. I'm guessing you mean a large table layout. However, that 8'x8' has to go somewhere, probably a space which is at least 13'x13. Combined with the very real problem of safely reaching the middle of an 8'x8' pike, you might want to consider an around the room or at least double ended shelf pike. You'll end up with much more square footage of model railroad and not have to worry about breaking things when you need to reach far into the layout. For example, a 30" shelf running around a 13'x'13' room gives you 195 sq. ft., about 64 sq. ft. more than that 8'x8' You'll be able to run longer trains, get away from some of the appearance problems of a table layout, run longer trains and use significantly broader curves.If you'll need the train room space for other purposes, it's at least as easy to fold up a shelf or modular layout as it is to stow something which is 8'x8'.

Whatever you do, welcome back to the hobby and good luck with your new re-railroad.
                                                                                                                             -- D