confession-don't know electrical schematics

Started by Keusink, May 08, 2011, 02:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

I'm embarrassed, but I don't know how to read electrical schematics. I have 9 signal animators by logicrail to hook up , 2 color signal w/ three leads (SA-1). To me, three leads mean the three wires attached to the signal. The schematics (on the net) show red and green wires to the signal animator on the left. To the right, red and green join to a white ground with a resistor.

In my ignorance, this means I need two each of the red and green wires. One each going to the signal animator, two each going to the ground and resistor. I only have one of each. So where do the read and green wires join to the ground in real life?

Of course today (Sunday) is the only day I have to do this, and I can't call logicrail to answer my stupid question.

Can someone help me with this question today? If I blow it, these puppies are expensive.

Apologetically, Chris

NarrowMinded

Could you post the link to the schematic your looking at.
Also who the signals are made by.

NM

Are these the instructions?

http://www.logicrailtech.com/sa_inst.pdf

NarrowMinded

Based on the Schematic and your statement it appears the Dot where the photocell meets the wire that goes from your 150ohm resistor to ground is what is confusing you. that dot indicates that the photocee is also hooked to the ground.  to simplify drawing they do this instead of running another line to the ground.

To make it clearer imagine the dot and connection from the photocell is not there instead imagine that the line from the  photocell  leads to the Ground, as shown in the modified version below.

ALSO, you do not need any more wires Red connects "R", Green connects to "G" and white with Resistor Connects "GND"

NM

Keusink

Thanks Narrow

Yes, those are the instructions, though I am using IR sensors rather than a photocell.

My confusion lies to the right of the circled "two lead searchlight signal". The resistor and white wire seem to attach to the Red and Green on the right of the lights as well as the left, within that circle.

My impulse is to bypass the r and g, attach the white lead directly to a resistor, and hook it up to gnd on the other side on the opposite side of the board. BUT, I can't see why the left end of the resistor seems to be attached to the "U" lying on its side
in the schematic.

The signal light has three wires at the base, red, green, and white. If white bypasses r and g, hooks to resistor, then runs to gnd, please confirm.

Sure thank you for all the help over the years. AR-1's are working well, and the supposed warp in my trestle seems to have been defective loco's rather than tracks. Our favorite brand is replacing or repairing them now, but another more expensive brand of 2-10-2 works fine on those trestles. Bachmann is to be commended for their service department in dealing with the Northerns.

Please confirm on the hookup on the white lead, and thank you.

Chris

NarrowMinded

The Circle Just shows  how the LED are connected inside trhe signal, The green wire connects to one side of the GREEN LED the Red wire connects to one Side of the RED LED, the white connects on the other side of both LEDs then passes through the 150ohm resistor then to ground.

So yes you got it.

NM

Keusink

Thank you. They didn't teach me electronics in grad school. The folks on this site are the greatest!

Chris