News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Outdoors?

Started by John C, June 27, 2007, 12:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John C

I've been considering a "Garden Railroad".  Nothing fancy, just an oval of track with one train.  A good friend of mine has been trying to convince me to change scales - I normally model in HO, and he models in On30.  I was wondering if I should "dabble" in On30 outdoors.  Has anyone had any experience with operating outdoors in this size?  I hadn't planned on getting into G at all.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

tac

Quote from: John C on June 27, 2007, 12:26:36 AM
I've been considering a "Garden Railroad".  Nothing fancy, just an oval of track with one train.  A good friend of mine has been trying to convince me to change scales - I normally model in HO, and he models in On30.  I was wondering if I should "dabble" in On30 outdoors.  Has anyone had any experience with operating outdoors in this size?  I hadn't planned on getting into G at all.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers!

1.  Providing that you take care, and buy the best track possible - nickel-silver is the stuff to go for - you'll be fine with 0n30 outdoors.  There was an excellent layout in MR a few years ago, designed to be watched while relaxing - all made from Bachmann's great series of models.

2.  0n30 is not G scale.  It's 0 scale.

Lots of luck.

tac
www.ovgrs.org   

ebtnut

It frankly doesn't matter much whether you do HO or On30, since both run on the same track.  The quality and durability of the track and track bed are what's important.  The On30 equipment is, overall, larger and heavier than HO, which means they might be a bit more forgiving of less than perfect track. 

As obliquely noted, most garden railroads are being done in Large scale, for which they are generally designed.  I would note that many Large scale garden layouts are run with R/C control and battery packs in the locos to minimize problems with clean track.

John C

tac & ebtnut,  Thanks for your advice.  I know G is much more common in garden railroads, I just thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone - as it were.  I could keep my buddy happy by attempting something in "his" scale and at the same time quench my curiosity about an outside layout (simplistic as it would be).  Best regards,  John