News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound for gp38/40

Started by Bill B, May 23, 2011, 08:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Are there any easy conversions for sound on these DCC engines? Will Bachmann add sound as a factory option?

ACY

QuoteAre there any easy conversions for sound on these DCC engines?
Each person has their own definition of easy, in my opinion there is not due to the lack of space. Maybe add sound to a non-powered loco or to a car that would be permanently coupled to your loco. That should afford you more space.
QuoteWill Bachmann add sound as a factory option?
No they do not have factory sound as an option for diesel and electric locomotives, nor will they add it.

Bill B

I am new to HO. I have several G units. I know that Bachmann will not retro fit but I was hopping for new products. I am limited by 18 in curves so small engines are something I will live with. Thanks

richg

Quote from: Bill B on May 23, 2011, 09:25:32 AM
I am new to HO. I have several G units. I know that Bachmann will not retro fit but I was hopping for new products. I am limited by 18 in curves so small engines are something I will live with. Thanks

Limited to 18 inches in which scale?

Rich

Bill B

HO  18 is almost imposable in G

richg

Quote from: Bill B on May 23, 2011, 09:44:02 AM
HO  18 is almost imposable in G

Ok, I asked because the GP38/40 are not exactly small as you mentioned you want small locos in one message.
The 44 ton, 45 ton, 70 ton, 0-6-0T, 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 I would consider small.
You can get the 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 with Tsunami sound. You can get the last two, DCC ready and add a sound decoder but the factory sound equipped are usually less cost, especially if you know how to shop on line. I have done both and know the difference
As a, Oh by the way, below is a link to recommended sounds for Bachmann locos. I have included the link before but some never look or store the link in their browser. I know most of the steamers have a spot for the speaker in the tender but do not know about the diesels. The Bachmann diagrams page will usually show the diagram for some of the locos. Bachmann cannot seem to keep up with the diagram page or drop some diagrams out.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step1.php

You do not have to use the Tsunami but this might give you a little info on the sound for certain typs of locos. They also show the speaker size which much of the time is a round speaker, usually 28mm for HO.
I have a couple HO locos with two 28mm speakers.

Rich

jward

the gp38 and gp40, as with most 4 axle diesels, are small enough to operate reliably on 18" radius curves.

that said, the bachmann gp7 has a milled out space in the fuel tank for a speaker. this locomotive is slightly smaller than the gp40/gp38-2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA