News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big hauler headlight upgrade

Started by NarrowMinded, May 23, 2011, 04:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

While searching for a big hauler headlight I had laying around to mount on my Davenport, I grabbed a mini-mini maglite, the one that takes two AAA batteries, Of corse it didn't work :P so I left it on the work table, I found the bighauler headlight and set it on the table, then I noticed they looked the same diameter, and even better the reflector and lens matched the front headlight on the davenport,
I disassemble both the set the new lens and reflector in the base... They fit but are tight, when I tried to put the top of the big hauler light assembly on it was too tight to close completely, so I placed a piece of sand paper flat on the table then placed the reflector assembly face down and sanded it until the ring was half as thick, then I used a exacto knife to bevel the inside edge of the bighauler headlight assembly, reassembled and it is perfect! 

I'll post pictures shortly for those who may be interested, I'm writing from my iphone due to a computer crash so please excuse the worse then usual spelling etc.

NM

Wade Colyer

Hi All:

I ordered some reflectors and lens for Maglite some years ago. I took the headlight off and pushed a small screwdriver in the bottom hole to separate the housing. A little drilling by hand and a LED fits the reflector just right.

Wade

on30gn15

Count me in as one of those interested  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

Here's some pics,
Wade, you can drill them out, but I used a smaller diameter LED that fit perfect instead.

NarrowMinded

ON30gn15,
I maybe wrong, but I have a slight memory of you wanting a brighter more effective light for your big hauler on a past topic, If you were to do this mod and use the minimag bulb or brighter LED it would be very bright maybe to bright, I opted to use a amber bulb to match the existing Headlight on the davenport, it has a nice glow for using at christmas time around the tree and in the front yard for decorations.

NM

on30gn15

Quote from: NarrowMinded on May 24, 2011, 11:50:58 PM... maybe too bright, ...
Not until the ISS space station crew says turn it off, they can't sleep.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

Ha HA ha, Well then I would suggest using the minimag 3v bulb with a resistor or a bright white LED.  perhaps when you have it installed you could do a shadow puppet show on the moon for the ISS crew.

NM