DDX40 decoder programming questions using Decoder Pro

Started by AtlanticRails, May 12, 2011, 07:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlanticRails

Hi There,
I recently purchased a Bachman HO DDX40 (with decoder on board) and I am now attempting to "fine tune" it. I am using Decoder Pro and it indicates the installed decoder is a 36-550 (or that's its best guess). I am attempting to control the lights such as 1) turn off and on the beacon using a function key,
2) turn off the front headlight when going in reverse, 3) change the rear headlight to a Gyro or Mars. All the attempts I have made with the different config options have had no effects at all on the lights (other than being able to dim then all simultaneously.
I have also not had a lot of success with motor or speed control. I have used both the basic and speed tables (I lowered to table top end to less than 50) but the locomotive seems to still have a very high top speed and does not have very slow starts.
Am I missing something or are these "functions" of the installed decoder.
Thank you for your help.

ACY

AtlanticRails

Regarding the Speed Table .. one does show up in DecoderPro. SO you are saying even though one is accessible, and configurable .. it really does not have any effect on the loco .. hmm, intresting.
How about the lighting effects .. any clues ..
Thanks

jward

not sure if this is the same decoder used in the gp40s and gp7, but those support minimum speed, acceleration rate and deceleration rate.

vmid and vmax, as well as the cvs for the speed tables do not seem to be supported. if you don't want to change the decoder to one which supports these, you'll want to program your other locomotives to match the dda40x's speed curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

poliss

The 36-550 appears to be a discontinued Bachmann UK decoder. It seems to support CVs 67-94 for a user defined speed curve. See here for the manual. http://www.toottoot.co.nz/downloads/files/Bachmann%2036550%20DCC%20Decoder.pdf

BestSnowman

I'm guessing DecoderPro isn't recognizing the decoder correctly. Unless Bachmann used a third party decoder (or have a new unannounced decoder) none of the things you are trying to do are going to work with the Bachmann decoder. Bachmann has the instruction sheet for their decoder posted online which specifies the supported CVs.

If you would like to add lighting effects or a full speed table you'll need to upgrade your decoder. I'd recommend not using DecoderPro as the definitive source on what a decoder supports as it's more likely to be wrong than the manuals produced by the manufacturers.

I've had success using Digitrax DH165s for speedtables and lighting effects but I imagine there are many other brands that support those features.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

AtlanticRails

Thank you all for your responses .. you have confirmed what I was pretty sure would be the answers. I will switch to a different decoder. I too have used the Digitrax 165 with good results.
Cheers All ..

Jim Banner

If the decoder is a 36-550, then it should be able to perform the lighting functions you want.  When you entered the bit numbers into Decoder Pro, did you remember to subtract one from each of them?  Bachmann, ala Lenz, numbers the bits 1 to 8 while the rest of the world numbers them 0 to 7.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.