www.youtube.com/texaspacific

r0bert

Quote from: Paul M. on July 01, 2007, 08:44:37 PM
Be sure to take lots of pics.
always!!!!!!
pics fom last years visits to K.C.
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/river_eagle/UP-844/

Bojangle

I Googled FEF 844, thousands of pictures.  I was going to ask what the side shields were for, but found out they are smoke shields.  I wish Bachmann had it, with  all the rolling stock for it.  Oh well, will just have to drool over the pictures.

Bo

SteamGene

Bo,
Elephant ears were fairly common in Europe, but not very common in the U.S.  The NYC had some on their Mohawks (4-8-2) I believe and the C&O put two sets on two - one a 4-8-4 Greenbriar which hit a large dump truck or concrete truck which slid down the hill on which it had been parked.  I think the other set went on a Hudson.  The Greenbriar lost the ears soon after the accident, which killed the fireman, IIRC.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bojangle

I've never seen them before, very distinctive.  I saw a picture of a crew servicing the bearings, they were dwarfed by the huge wheels, must be 8 feet or more.
Bo

lanny

Bo,

The drivers are 80". That means, if my math is correct, a 6' 8" person would be head to head with the top of the drivers.

That was what impressed me when I watched it go by. Those drivers! So huge and turning so effortlessly. Who needs to watch 'ballet' when this lady is performing  :)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Bojangle

Isn't it nice that we "grown-ups" are able to control our emotions?  NOT lol
I'm sure to the kids on the platform, it was like "that's ok", but short lived emotions.
This is the type of event that makes wives say "well, what am I chopped liver"?

They just don't understand this love affair over a dirty, smelly, noisy bellowing beast. 
Ballet, poetry, beauty, raw power and charisma all rolled into one, the stuff dreams are made of.   
Bo

r0bert

k.c. teazers, more tomorrow

RAM

I never got to see many U.P. steam locomotives in regular service.  I did get to see a 4-8-4 and 4-6-6-4 that were steamed up and moved a few feet in order to be able to take better photos of them.  All so had a 2-8-2 pull a short fan trip.  In K.C. I got to see a 4-6-2 pull out of union station with a train.  I did see a 4-12-2 leave the roundhouse and head for the yards to pick up a train.  It was a joy to see Santa Fe's 4-8-4s pulling a 70 car train at speed.  In fact I enjoyed see any steam locomotive pulling a train.

Bojangle

With tightened security, I am surprised they let people so close to the train/ tracks at other than a viewing platform.
Bo

lanny

Bo,

In the little central Iowa town where #844 stopped, people and kids were all over the tracks. One little guy remarked to me, "If I could pick up all the pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters people put on the tracks, I'd be rich!" :)

For some reason, maybe the slowness of the speed when it pulled into the area crowded with people, there were no restrictions ... but then, small town central Iowa is not downtown Kansas City! Maybe they have to be more careful in large cities.

lanny nicolet

r0bert

lanny

rObert,

Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

lanny nicolet

Hoople

Oh sorry, I haven't been on in while.

Here is Video #1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxhyq_6Tqj0

and video #2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=IEMTGGNP1cs&mode=related&search=

And yes, my teacher let me skip school on friday to see them.

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Hoople

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!