News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

re: heavy mtn. tender trucks

Started by gtwfan, May 19, 2011, 04:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtwfan

I think I just saw the solution to my problem, but want to double check. I have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 heavy mouintain locomotive that is DC and I can't get to run. I removed the wheelsets on the tender to ream the bolsters and lubricate the axle ends. When I re-assembled the wheelsets, I made sure that all insulated ones were on the same side (opposite side from the loco wheel wipers). I saw on another thread that perhaps I should have the insulated wheels on opposite sides from one another. Is that so? Thanks for any info that will solve my problem. Gerry S.

richg

Quote from: gtwfan on May 19, 2011, 04:38:54 PM
I think I just saw the solution to my problem, but want to double check. I have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 heavy mouintain locomotive that is DC and I can't get to run. I removed the wheelsets on the tender to ream the bolsters and lubricate the axle ends. When I re-assembled the wheelsets, I made sure that all insulated ones were on the same side (opposite side from the loco wheel wipers). I saw on another thread that perhaps I should have the insulated wheels on opposite sides from one another. Is that so? Thanks for any info that will solve my problem. Gerry S.

Yes, it is so. Look at the diagram that came with your loco. I just advised someone here of the same thing. There should have been no need to remove and lubricate the trucks.
Spectrum tenders pick up on one truck on one side and the other truck on the other side.
If you get it wrong, you will still have a short because the tender wheels are tied into the driver wheels.
Having to lubricate the trucks is a misconception among many modelers. The only time I had with trucks was when I bought new wheel sets that I knew where a little longer and I reamed out the trucks a little but the slippery plastic today has no need for extra lubrication, especially with the Spectrum. Ok, it does make some pepole feel better about their trains.

The older DC only Bachmann use to pick up on only one side. The loco drivers picked up on the opposite side.

Rich

gtwfan

Thanks for the info. It was one of those "I could be wrong but I think I'm right" things. I'm still having an issue getting the loco to run, but at least it's getting power now. I think there's a problem with the contact on the tender front truck, so it's keep at it until it runs. Thanks again. Gerry S.

richg

Not at home right now but with the tender upside down, I think you should see the contacts under the axles.
In other words. the contacts will be between the tender floor and axles as you look at the tender when it is upside down. That puts pressure on the contacts at all times if the contacts where not bent the wrong way.
Clean track and wheel threads also. Not looks clean but you actually cleaned the track and wheels. Most of the issues are usually dirty track even though the tracks look "clean".
DCC needs clean track more than DC operation does.
Tender wiring and pickup diagrams have been posted here quite a lot.

Rich