Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MT conversion chart confusion

Started by joe935, February 08, 2007, 09:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe935

I have 2 Bachmann Steam Engines that I want to convert from rapido:
1. Northern 4-8-4 w/ Vanderbilt tender
2. Northern 4-8-4 w/ Tender (not specified) came in the Empire builder set.
For 1. MT chart lists 3 couplers:
1128 (001 30 012)
1129 (001 30 013)
1130 (001 30 014)
For #2. MT lists 1133 (001 30 012)
3 questions For someone who had done the conversion.
How do you know which of the 3 for 1 to use?
What are the numbers in the Parens. for?
What conversion number would i use for the rolling stock?

asarge

Joe,

The number in parentheses are the new stock numbers for ordering purposes. Don't ask me why they did this.

For number one, I have done 2 conversions for people and used the 1130 both times mainly because they were what I was given to do the conversions for, but you can use any of them.  As far as the rolling stock goes, that depends on what rolling stock you have.

ben_not_benny

Most rolling stock from Bachmann uses 1133 or 1134 couplers, except for the Amfleet cars.

Franz T

After replacing about 4 dozen trucks with MicroTrains trucks (street price about $3.50 per car) I decided I would come out a lot cheaper by keeping the old trucks if they rolled halfway decent and trimming off the coupler pockets and going to body mounted couplers. I used 1015's, bought them in bulk packs for a street price of roughly $1.00 per car. (At the present time I have in the neighborhood of 400 cars) Yes, I know the bulk pack comes in kit form only; but the learining curve is relatively short. I sat down some evenings with two of three packs and an hour or two later I had 20 - 30 assembled pairs of couplers. Turned out I actually found it relaxing to put them together. Body mounted couplers are much better, especially if you plan to do a lot of switching. On some applications I had to use special couplers (2004's on the spectrum tenders for example) but 90% of my rolling stock has body mount 1015's. On the split frame LifeLike diesels (and on Atlas before they went to Accumates) they were a 2 minute replacement- pull the clip, toss the crapido and the centering spring, place coupler pocket in pilot, replace clip, put on track, turn on power and enjoy.....
Your milage may vary, but above all, have fun!

Franz T

ben_not_benny

I haven't started using knuckle couplers yet, because they really take a long time to be installed, and I have about 600 cars on the list. I'll keep those Rapidos for now.

PRRnTX

These are different shank lengths.
If one has large radii curves, one can use the shorter shanks. It will keep the cars closer together. If you are going to run through smaller, tighter curves -- the use the longer shanks. Most of the hobby shops will have a microtrains notebook with the diminsions and a complete conversion chart, or you can get the info from their website as well.

I highly recomend MT's coupler tweesers!

PRRnTX

Jim

Quote from: Franz T on February 08, 2007, 07:43:37 PM
After replacing about 4 dozen trucks with MicroTrains trucks

Hi,

Do you know, are the wheels on the MT replacement trucks metal or plastic? Surely they are metal but who knows these days.(

Thanks.

Franz T

Jim, I started this project in 2000. At that time the wheels were plastic. I haven't bought any MT trucks since them but I would assume that they still use plastic wheels..

Franz T

ben_not_benny

Micro-Trains' trucks and rolling stock never used metal wheels, as far as I know.

Train Nutz

Hey Joe,
   I have the Bachmann Northern and body mounted a  MT1015-1 to the tender. I cut off the exsisting coupler from the tender and tapped and screwed using a 00-90 screw (comes with 1015-1) and mounted the coupler. I believe I filed the body edge to match the bottom of the coupler so it sat flat. Their are shims with the 1015-1 that can be used if you need to drop the coupler if it sets to high. MT also sells the tap & drill set. It comes with 2 different drills (1 for clearence and one for the tap) plus the 00-90 tap that fits the screw threads. If you do this, make sure you get a 1015-1 not a 1015. the -1 are factory assembled ready to use. The 1015's are in kit form and will have to be assenbled to use. Both style of 1015's come with 4 couplers each.
                                       Train Nutzzzzzz

GlennW

For most Bachmann cars & locos, the #1133 is used. These are Tshank couplers that reuse the old Bachmann coupler box.

With over 100 Nscale products, MTL had to use a different product number system. With their push into Zscale, I can understand why. It does make a lot of confusion in the conversion tables. It is also confusing for MTL to use Excel tables. Some computers have had problems opening & using the files.

AFAIK MTL has never used metal wheelsets on freight cars. The Delrin plastic is supposed to be very free wheeling. Combined with the delrin trucks, that's why you can get the slinky effect. You can get replacement metal wheelsets.

Train Nutz

One of the other things that creates confussion is when a manufacturer changes were an item is made (example: Japan to China) or changes gears in how a model is produced. This creates different styles of coupler boxes over the years and and you have to do some research before changing the couplers. On example is the C40-8CW. The original took a pilot conversion to fill the gapping holes at the ends of the pilot. Then coupler box is attached to the installed pilot. On the newer C40-8CW's that gapping hole is filled by the retooling of the shell and looks more like the proyotype. Now a new problem exsist. Using MT's coupler chart and the style of coupler it says to use.  It gives both the old style and new style with the new style I believed is high lighted in red. If you go and mount the MT coupler in place of were the original rapido was (and this is screwed in with a box that's simular to the MT style) cause a big problem. The mount hole is so far back that the MT coupler cannot function properly as it's too close to the body.  Redrilling and tapping new holes to center out the MT coupler is next to inpossible as their isn't much material (thin band strip) from the edge of the front pilot to were the Bachmann coupler hole mount is. I had to fill this area with styrene to make the mount.
                         Big trouble in little China (pun intended)
                                   Train Nutzzzzzzzzzzz

Franz T

I bought 2 of the new C40's a few months ago and encountered the same problem. Rather than build a new coupler mounting pad to drill and tap for the 1015, I simply ACC'd the coupler box in place. So far I have not had any problems. Strangely enough, with the new Spectrum SD-45's, the coupler is a straightforward replacement - the mounting holes line up...looks like the same coupler, too.
Go figure..... :-\

Franz T