News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Piggybacking sound decoder w/DCC onboard?

Started by Buckimion, May 18, 2011, 05:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckimion

I have a N&W J with DCC Onboard. While I currently am not using the DCC function, my club is currently transitioning to making DCC available on it's lines for some members while retaining DC for the older locos for others and I need an engine/decoder for both.

I'd like to add an MRC 1007 DC sound decoder that plugs into an 8 pin DCC socket. This decoder comes with it's own transmitter for activating sound effects instead of relying on DCC controls. I want to know if it's possible to piggyback both decoders or if I am forced to choose between one or the other?

r0bert

You don't need both, the 1007 is a dual mode decoder takes the place of the stock decoder, when operating on a DCC layout it functions as a regular sound and motor decoder,  speed/direction/sounds/ lightsall  controlled by functions on DCC throttle.
On DC power, speed/ direction controlled by powerpack, and the remote operates the sounds only.

richg

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/M-R-C-DC-STEAM-SOUND-MODULE-WRem-/item500-1007.html

Older product if anyone has not seen it before. MRC says it is discontinued but old stock around from a search I did. No doubt usefull for those who do not want to deal with DCC.

Rich

Buckimion

Quote from: r0bert on May 18, 2011, 06:04:29 PM
You don't need both, the 1007 is a dual mode decoder takes the place of the stock decoder, when operating on a DCC layout it functions as a regular sound and motor decoder,  speed/direction/sounds/ lightsall  controlled by functions on DCC throttle.
On DC power, speed/ direction controlled by powerpack, and the remote operates the sounds only.

I think you misunderstand, I WANT both the ability for DCC or DC operations both with easily controllable sound. I don't want to replace the stock DCC decoder, I'm trying to find a way to get the sound decoder to work with it. I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of something along the lines of a splitter to plug in both decoders. Search can't find any such beast with the terms I'm using but I'm hoping someone may know of a solution that would work the same.

richg

That device will only run on DC voltage. It is meant for sounds on a DC layout.
If all else fails, read the instructions that came with the module.
I did some Google searching and below is the link for the diesel module and basically the same type of module but with diesel sounds.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainsound/0001000-1001ins.pdf

The wording can give some the impression this module will run on DCC. DCC is AC voltage with digital pulses in the DCC waveform. The module requires DC voltage. Notice in the link about DC power packs that use pulse power.

Also, you cannot have a on board decoder that is connected to the motor and connect this device to the motor also. If both where piggybacked on the 8 pin connector, both devices would be trying to control the motor and I suspect you would blow out the Bachmann decoder.
Some clueless have wired in a decoder to a loco that was not DCC ready and the track pickup wires were still connected to the motor and blew out the decoder.
Take time to learn the basic differences between DC and DCC. There are tons of helps nd links if you do Google searches. Just like doing homework.

Rich

Doneldon

Buck-

I think the closest you might get to having both available is to install your auxiliary DC sound unit as a separate, self-contained unit. The dual-mode DCC decoder will determine whether you are on DC or DCC trackage, and will function normally when you are on DCC track. On DC track, it will not operate sound or motor control. That's when you'll need your auxilliary sound and its hand controller. However, it is imperative that you don't wire the two PC boards together, upon pain of letting the magic smoke out of one or both.

The safest route would be independent power for the jump board but I doubt you'll be able to get any batteries into an already crowded locomotive. Using your loco's power pick-ups for both might work as long as you are careful not to have either board connected "downstream" from the other. That is, don't piggy-back one on the other. Tap power for the extra sound unit before the wires get to the DCC decoder. You should probably have a switch so you can cut power to the extra board when you are on DCC track.

If I were you, however, I'd scrap this plan all together. I think this scheme has all of the ingredients for a model railroading disaster.
                                                       -- D