Spectrum steamers paint match

Started by Pacific Northern, June 29, 2007, 04:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Which paint would match the black paint finish used on the Spectrum steam engines?

I think this has come up on the forum before, however, I can find no reference by using the forum search.

Thanks
Pacific Northern

richG

I would like to know also. I recently picked up a HO Spectrum 4-4-0 DCC powered and I noticed the smokebox is a slightly different shade of black. It is not smokebox gray. That I know. Thanks.

Richard

the Bach-man

Dear dr,
I use Krylon Semi-flat black.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Thank you Mr. B

I assume Krylon is a brand name, I am not familar with it but will check with the local hobby shop and see if they can help me obtain some. I have accumulated a fair number of Spectrum steamers and as availablity was limited I have a number of road names I need to change.
Pacific Northern

JerryB

drhone:

Krylon is a brand nme, but it doesn't usually come from hobby shops. It's one of the best known spray paints around and is found in the paint department at hardware stores and home supply stores like Lowes and Home Depot.

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

SteamGene

How about Steam Engine Black?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

SteamGene

What is the brand name for the Steam Engine Black?
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Floquil makes it, I'm sure. I think any of the railroad color paint companies has a steam engine black all of which seems to be the same shade.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

SteamGene
Then you have tried it yourself with a Spectrum steam engine or you are assuming it would match?
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

I've painted over portions of Spectrum steam locomotives using steam power black paint, yes.  The exact company escapes me. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat