News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO 80-ton Shay radius

Started by hoboxcar, May 17, 2011, 11:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoboxcar

I've seen some discussion, but none of it authoritative.  Bought a Spectrum Shay years ago waiting for the day when I'd get a layout back up again in new house, and now that basement finished am ready to go.  Trying to plan a separate section of the layout with logging terrain to run the Shay, and I can't find anything authoritative from Bachman in the instructions or online about the min. radius.  I see discussion in 2010 but it was all anecdotal with people saying what they're successfully running Shays and some other locos on.  I see 18" ok.  But I'd think with the Shay design it should be able to turn a tight radius and I'd like to know for sure before I make the platform where it will be.  I could really use a diameter of 30" to squeeze turn into tight space - Is there anything authoritative or any user experience about whether will run on 15" radius?

ACY

In the Bachmann catalog, it says the Recommended Minimum Radius is 18 inches. Keep this in mind though, it may run on 15" radius, but becuase one loco runs on 15" radius does not by any means guarantee your loco will run on 15" radius. There is often times no rhyme or reason as to why one will run on a certain radius and one will not. The best method is to ask your local hobby shop to let you test it on your layout or at the hobby shop before committing to buying the locomotive.

Geared Steam

I have a 15" radius on my layout, my 3 shays and 3T climax negotiate it just fine. It happens to be on a 4% grade and sometimes I'll string line my lighter hoppers. But as mentioned, ask a local LHS to run it on a 15" radius before you buy it.

hoboxcar

Thanks.  A little late to check b4 I buy, since i bought it several years ago and have just had it in the box since then.  But glad to see 15" is working for others.  I think that as I set my layout up I'm going to just set up a test track myself initially of 15".

ACY

That sounds like a good plan, just set up a temporary loop and see how it does.